HELP!!! Got an annoying squeak in engine bay

spence

Member +
Hi every one,

Hope that someone can help me, iv got an annoying squeaking coming from somewhere in the engine bay but can't figure out whats making it, i know that it isnt the alternator bearing or the water pump as i loosened the belt that drives both and started the car and was still doing it.

It seems like it coming from the back of the engine somewhere but not sure where tho.

Iv uploaded a video to help people understand what i mean .

cheers
Spence

dac69er

Super Moderator
does it go up and down with the revs? what about if you put your foot on the clutch, put it in gear or drive it?

did it happen all of a sudden or slowly get worse?

spence

Member +
does it go up and down with the revs? what about if you put your foot on the clutch, put it in gear or drive it?

did it happen all of a sudden or slowly get worse?

Sorry forgot to say that when you rev it, it goes and then when you take you foot of the accelerator it comes back when the revs die down to about 1000 ish rpm and its slowly got worse over time, its been like it for about 8 month or so

and when you put you foot on the clutch it doesn't change at all

Last edited:

Paul_JJ

Member +
it's your AUX belts IMHO - most likely need replacing. Easy to find out - put some WD40 on the Aux belts and pullies - start the engine and see if the noise will disappear for some time or not - sometimes you need to spray while the engine is running. This won't do any good to your belts of course, but you'll definitely find out if it's them or not. It's also happens if the belts are not tightened properly - most likely over-tightened.

I had similar problem in the past and the aux belts replacement sorted it out. However it's not 100%, but worth a try.

Last edited:

bongskag

Member +
I'd be more worried about it being the cam-belt tentioners, when did it have the cambelt done last ? and were they done too ?

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
Have you done anything to the breathers on the rocker cover recently? I put a catch can on mine and put a filter on the rocker cover breather which kind of made a similar sound to that! Took me ages to figure out what it was :S

(V)(@,,,,@)(V) whup whup whup

:)

spence

Member +
it's your AUX belts IMHO - most likely need replacing. Easy to find out - put some WD40 on the Aux belts and pullies - start the engine and see if the noise will disappear for some time or not - sometimes you need to spray while the engine is running. This won't do any good to your belts of course, but you'll definitely find out if it's them or not. It's also happens if the belts are not tightened properly - most likely over-tightened.

I had similar problem in the past and the aux belts replacement sorted it out. However it's not 100%, but worth a try.

It isn't the aux belts as I said in the original post cause I said that I loosened the belt and held it away from any pulley whilst I started it.

And the cambelt tensioner was done with the cambelt last year when I bought a kit and did it myself, and also the noise is at the rear of the engine, not the side, as I said aswell.