help needed cooling

well removed air con and fitted a sard low temp thermostat on saturday
took car for a drive last night which was great as it was cold ran fine
gave it a boot and something happened that made the water in the radiator empty we think from the tank as there was a lot of water in that area form the overflow
thought it was an air lock as top radiator pipe was rock hard so topped up the radiator and pump the pipes to get any air bubbles out.
ran fine today untill up against an renault 5 turbo which i whipped and the same thing happened radiator emptyed some how so temp rose
any ideas why or what is happening??
could the thermostat be causing this?
any help would be great
cheers guys

dac69er

Super Moderator
did you fit the thermostat correctly? seems as though its something to do with what you changed. removing aircon should affect anything, just makes it cool better.
why did you fit a lower temp thermostat anyway? any particular reason?

did you fit the thermostat correctly? seems as though its something to do with what you changed. removing aircon should affect anything, just makes it cool better.
why did you fit a lower temp thermostat anyway? any particular reason?

just for better cooling mate was told it would help keeping temps down
think it might have something to do with this as its the only thing changed

dac69er

Super Moderator
whoever told you that is talking tripe mate. stock one is what you want. the engine is built to perform best at a certain temperature. any lower and it will mean the car will waer prematurely. plus the car will be less ecoomical as it will take longer to reach full operating temp.

if you live in a particularly hot country, or you have really looked deep into the workings of the engine and your particular setup and have decided you need one then i can see a reason for it, otherwise its just not needed

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
keeping the engine cool can only be a good thing though surely?

I had the same problem with water being lost from the expansion tank. Turns out my rad was blocked full of shit. A good flush out and its sorted.

dac69er

Super Moderator
it will do,yes. but basically as long as the fan doesnt come on every few seconds and the readout in the car isnt going past the point it usually sits at then you have nothing to worry about as its within its optimum operating temperature.

after a while the car will reach these temperatures anyway, will just take it a bit longer as the thermostat opens earlier.

only reason i can see to use it is if you live in a hot country, drive about in town alot, have cooling issues because of extra power or for other reasons due to the nature of your setup or the use the car is going to be put to.

if your car is just for the track then use one by all means, remove it all together would probably be a better option for that, as you would want it as cool as possible. but if its a track car you dont worry about engine wear or economy. you would also want it setup to run best under those cooler conditions too.

for 90% of people on here its just not needed