HELP PLEASE!! - Rear Brake Caliper needed

turbo-roj

Member +
Hello all,

I think it could be the weather being so cold but one of my rear calipers has been sticking on, ive cleaned it all up put oil in all the right places but it did it again, after taking it to a garage they said i needed a new caliper at around 70 quid however, phoned toyota and they want 170 quid, now does anyone else get this problem? also does anyone know of someone selling one? or 2?

Thanks in advance guys, could really do with the help too!

turbo-roj

Member +
well i shud hope not everyone gets this problem, i took it about 600 yards n realised it wasnt gonna free up so drove back to WD40 it and the disc was glowing bright red! so is there no solution other than to fork out 170 quid?

dac69er

Super Moderator
where can i get a recon'd one form?

there are companies that will recon your caliper for around that price. some are more and some are less.
go to your local motor factors. decent ones will be able to send the caliper away themselves or will know where to go if not.

you can get the parts from toyota to rebuild the calipers yourself. is its just the sliders that are sticking?

turbo-roj

Member +
no no, theres no slides, its a car not a park lol, ONLY JOKIN!

well il ask around the garages then, probably wouldnt be able to service it meself!!

dac69er

Super Moderator
fair enough mate. if your not confident in doing it yourself you could cause more harm than good.

if you get another working one. try taking the knackered one apart. you should learn a bit about how its assembled and how it works then. may be handy in the future ;)

turbo-roj

Member +
yeh i will defo do that, and thats my fav game - taking things apart and puttin em back together again lol, cheers bud will ring arounD

gt-stu

Member +
my slides are always sticking,have to grease them regurlarly,my seals are split though,i can send them away from my work to get overhauled, 40 notes per side but thats cost price

monka

Member +
poor a load of hot water over them one morning, make sure they arent seized go for a drive, park up, and dont use the handbrake, leave it in gear, wait till the weather warms up, hey presto, you saved a hundred quid or so

Big_Daddy

Member +
poor a load of hot water over them one morning, make sure they arent seized go for a drive, park up, and dont use the handbrake, leave it in gear, wait till the weather warms up, hey presto, you saved a hundred quid or so

Wish i left mines off now, just come back to disconnect the handbreak and it frozen, i took the handbreak off now, do you think it would unjam by 2morow morning? Guna be 2 dgress around 12pm?

monka

Member +
2 degrees at 12? its minus 6 here, bloody hell. where are you

may unjam, although i doubt it, just boil a kettle before you go out to the car,

Big_Daddy

Member +
2 degrees at 12? its minus 6 here, bloody hell. where are you

may unjam, although i doubt it, just boil a kettle before you go out to the car,

Its guna be -4 to night but in the morning should live up to a max of 2dgress (wow wee).

Guna be abit hard getting water on them with my wheel caps on. lol

Had optertunity at 830 to disconnect the handbreak but left it till now, frozen solid, try moving the car abit, wont budge:mad:

Just hope my old man dont take it in morning if the breaks are still frozen.

mickscanlon

Member +
ya dem links above i got the driver side caliper 2 days ago from him on ebay.. looks good but havent fited yet.. 14 day warrenty with it also...