help please :(

tommrs

Member +
hi guys! i started a thread the other day for help with a high idle! now its just got so tempramentel! as in it started today after about 20 different times of trying her! ive not had her long and the person who had it before shouldnt be alloud near a machine every again! they even wired the hid lights backwards! so they never actually ignited! but when she does actually fire up shes idleing between 900-2500 and very juddery! proper shakes the car! and if u press on gas it just judders more and die! so today i thought it could be the injectors cause dunno how long it been sat and cleaned them all and put on a 2nd brand new set of sparks! after trying to start her theyre black already! plus today i noticed that the coolant temp sensor is snapped off! would this affect it and anyone know where i can get one from? cheers

IMAG0070.jpg

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

IMAG0073.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

IMAG0075.jpg

cheers

STARLET N/A

Member +
it will be the coolant temperature sensor mate.

if it is not working properly then the ECU thinks that the engine is cold, so it dumps loads of fuel in. this is what is making the spark plugs turn black.

one of the images is working so you can see your pics by scrolling through for others.

get a pics of the thermostat housing, so we can see what is connected or not. (under the dizzy cap)

tommrs

Member +
everything else is connected! just the coolant temp sensor is snapped and just the actual sensor bit is theres just no connector! i might be able to solder some cable to it to connect it! my cars no where near my house so can really go get a pic till tomorrow! and do u know about the random vacuum pipe hanging there? haha! found the part number for the thing its attached too! 90910-12121
cheers

dark_knight

Member +
@ tommrs: all the best with that mate. soldering may not work too well as it may not hold but give it a shot. best bet is to get a replacement sensor. you have quite a tidy engine bay.. nice pipes/hoses.. :D

tommrs

Member +
cheers mate! slowly getting there! not goin for the normal uniformed red or blue! just goin with whatever colour i fancy next :) haha! but anyone know what that filter type object is in picture 3? seems to be missing a vacuum lead :/ n where that random pipe goes in picture 2? but ill definitly try to solder it tomorrow! will that sort the starting problem? is it cause its throwing to much petrol in engine! cause put a 255l/ph pump in and it wouldnt start at all so put the standard back in for now! and done the diagnostics and comes up with code 22 which from what ive read is coolant temp sensor!

dark_knight

Member +
VVS - vapor venting system

the 'filter-type-thing' in pic3 is your charcoal canister which is part of your fuel vapor venting system. it allows the fuel tanks' pressure build-ups to be safely released/vented. i suspect too that the pipe 'hanging loose' in pic2 is meant to go to it but would need a wide shot of your left and right parts of the engine bay. yours is an ep82..?

tommrs

Member +
the pipe is fully reach there to the inlet mani! so is there a chance that it does go there? and will the coolant temp sensor affect how it fires/starts? n yeah its a 94 gt turbo! ill put some new piping on tomorrow n see it works! cheers mate! rep added for both of ya :)

Paul_JJ

Member +
Tom looking at the pic of the brake fluid reservoir, looks like you have a seized caliper(s), it's shouldn't be over the level! Regarding the idle - try to look in to the dizzy cap and leads first - I had the same problem.

dark_knight

Member +
miscellaneous

@ tommrs: the pipes are usually interconnected changing between rubber flex hoses to stiff plastic inserts. not certain but a bit of that may have gone m.i.a. did you get the car like that..? with the pipes hanging loose..?

i wouldn't worry too much either about your brake reservoir level. perhaps it was over-filled by accident the last time..? safest bet is to check your calipers for seizure though, just to be certain. you can get a used hand-pump that used to be for lotion or liquid soap and use that to empty the excess -- watch your paint as you do this and get rags around the place if you need. plus, contrary to popular belief, it is OK to have the fluid anywhere above the half-mark and full. it need not always be at full :)

cheers for the rep. i can share some of my bay pics if that would/may help even though i have a glanza, not a GT..

tommrs

Member +
the brake fluid level is that high because i put new ebc grooved and dimpled discs on yesterday and took the calipers off to clean them and new yellowstuff ebc pads so havent got round to bleeding the rear calipers yet! ( todays job ) :(
and yes the car came with so many things unplugged! slowly gettin through it now though! and ive out a brand new toyota dizzy cap on and rotor so shouldnt be that! and the magnacor kv85's ( others were screwed ) i beleive from what ive read the idle issue is a vacuum leak cause it revs itself from around 900-2500 and then just drops off :( and yes please if u could! then i can see what pipes go where :)

dark_knight

Member +
ok mate. will take a few shots and share when i can, or if any of the other members on here have pix already, they can share..?

tommrs

Member +
ok mate! cheers! well gonna go sort the back brakes out today and start rewiring the entire car! :( cheers mate!

tommrs

Member +
thanks for those mate! helped alot! but my engine bay hasnt got the solenoid over the top of the filter! :( n another does the collant temp sensor for the dash gauges do the exact same job as the one for the ecu?

dark_knight

Member +
coolant sensors

not sure i understand your question about the coolant sensors mate.. :/ are you asking whether the ECU uses the same signal readings the dash temp gauge gets..? i would think so, but could someone please confirm..?
the only other different thing is that the rad fan is triggered by the coolant switch adjacent to the thermostat housing and not the temp gauge coolant sensor.. :)

dark_knight

Member +
filth

btw, pardon the extremely filthy engine bay. car's been sitting for 3+ weeks undergoing a turbo transplant so things have got a little out of control in there.. :)
the solenoid that i've tie-wrapped above the charcoal canister onto the ignitor i believe controls how much 'venting' the canister does based on inlet mani conditions. on most occasions when i park after a drive, i'll hear my canister buzzing away. startled me the first couple of times until i understood what it was about..

Last edited:

tommrs

Member +
well theres 2 coolant temp sensors! one is for the ecu and one for the dash gauges! so i attach a cable to that sensor and then another onto the dizzy screws for earth and connected them to the connector for the ecu! but still doesnt fire :/ and i have a similar solenoid right in the far left corner ( drivers side ) of the engine bay where that stray pipe is from! and mines filthy too mate! gonna go order a new rocker top gasket to paint it tomorrow i think! mines been sat since last march before i got her! she was cheap though! and spent 700 on parts do far fmic, kv85, dizzy, boost controller, hks black ssqv, apexi ecu so dont think ive done badly at all! haha