help plz: my car pulls on left then right

Kushal

Member +
hey there..got a prob with my car..
i got a starlet 92(ep82) that was originally a soleil..
had an engine swap..to 4efte..few weeks back

jst got parallel done
wheel banlancing
camber done..

btw its sitting on 17"motorsport(204/40)

when at a constant speed..it goes in a straight line..no prob with that..

bt when i accelerate even on a flat road my car goes on the left..
n when decelarates it jst pull back on the right..(not braking..jst release accelerator)

jst changed all support..

what do u thnk it could be?

plz help..thx

sme pics of my ride..

P260909_1447.jpg

P260909_1412.jpg

Dsc01855jpgsddvvs.jpg

Last edited:

azerty

Supermoderator
Hello Kushal,
welcome onboard ;)
just curious, where have you done your wheel alignment ?
it could be a bent wheel. I had exact same prob
cheers

Fatman

Member +
It sounds like you're describing torque steer. Starlets are prone to suffer from it, being lightweight comparitively powerful fwd cars. I'm afraid it comes with the territory and is very difficult to rectify! Ensure your engine mounts are in good condition, that's about all that springs to mind that might make it better.

Kushal

Member +
allignment was done at Mauri tyre centre..nouvel france...
had it done at tyre master floreal b4..bt wasnt satisfied with their wrk..

btw how did u correct it on ur car?

azerty

Supermoderator
yes I have fixed it, but now that I read your statement again it has to be diferent, on my car it was pulling left in all case.
as Fatman said, if you got a bit of power, when you accelerate, you'll have some torquesteer, which would pull your car on the left. (cause of the shorter driveshaft on this side). but if the car pulls right when you brake or decelerate, this is an other story
what does happen when you brake hard ?

Last edited:

Kushal

Member +
when hard brakin is applied it doesn't really have ther effect of left or right..
it stays in a straight line..

finx

Member +
you are definitely experiencing torque steer. not much you can do about it. an LSD diff helps some but wont ever compleetly fix the problem.

azerty

Supermoderator
does it still pull left when you accelerate on 4th gear ? you shouldn't feel much torquesteer on higher gears.
when you start to decelerate, does it pull right and back to straight ? or does is keep pulling right during a long deceleration ?
if you feel this left pull mainly on first and second gear acceleration, and that you feel a quick right pull when you decelerate after a hard acceleration. then as other said, it is just torque steer, welcome in 4efte world :p

finx

Member +
you are definitely experiencing torque steer. not much you can do about it. an LSD diff helps some but wont ever compleetly fix the problem.

torque steer is very prominent in high power front wheel drive cars. it occurs because the gearbox is off to one side which means you have two different length drive shafts. the shorter one (in a starlet this is on the left hand side) spinns more freely than the longer one due to mass and length so the car will pull towards this side when on full power.

Kushal

Member +
does it still pull left when you accelerate on 4th gear ? you shouldn't feel much torquesteer on higher gears.
when you start to decelerate, does it pull right and back to straight ? or does is keep pulling right during a long deceleration ?
if you feel this left pull mainly on first and second gear acceleration, and that you feel a quick right pull when you decelerate after a hard acceleration. then as other said, it is just torque steer, welcome in 4efte world :p

yea..it pulls back to the right when decelerating after a hard acceleration..
even on the 4th gear...

thx for the explanations guys..

Gryzor

Admin
Please go out and make sure the bolt on the front of your wishbone or lower arms is really tight in the picture below it is the bolt with what looks like 11 stamped on it.

IMG_3489.jpg

You can easily do this with full steering lock on.

ryandavis

Banned
mate get rid of 17 on a starlet, that with the torque steer = nightmare.. and even more so if there old wheels they have a good chance of being buckled & that would cause handing dismay!! get a set of 15"s evn steel wheels and drive with them for a day, you will should see a huge difference if it is the problum.!

azerty

Supermoderator
Kushal, where have you bought your D2 and when ?

there are big chance they are 6.7 kg front which is hard enough for our road.
which dampening setting do you use ? (which one from the 36 settings)

Last edited: