Help wanted on rear caliper problems

nicmcs4

Member +
Hey guys,

I'm planning on converting over my starlet from drums to discs next weekend, so today I was cleaning down the calipers the first one was fine.........

But on the second caliper the long bleed nipple is snapped inside the caliper. the bit left of the bleed nipple that is left inside the body of the caliper is about 5mm in the threads for the bleed nipple.

My question is; is the caliper ruined or can it be rebuilt....

If the answer is rebuilding then what procedure would I use or can the broken bleed nipple be drilled out and retap the threads.

Any opinions and comments are welcome as I want to fit these if at all possible.

Regards

dac69er

Super Moderator
might get it out with easy-outs. if not try drilling it out. you might be lucky and not ruin the thread at all.

if you can drill and retap it make sure you dont drill in too far, if you wreck the seat at the bottom it may never seal and then you need to either regrind the seat with paste or chuck the caliper.

Texx

Super Moderator
I'd leave drilling out the remaining part of the bleed nipple as a last resort. Try using some swan neck pliers to unscrew the broken nipple, or try tapping in a torx bit that is slightly too big for the center hole and try unscrewing it with that.

If all else fails, then you'll have to try and drill the nipple out, choose a drill bit diameter that is not so big it will take the thread in the caliper out and drill carefully and slowly checking your progress every few seconds. If you remove the nipple from the other caliper, it will give you some indication of how far in you will need to drill before hitting the seat. Take this measurement and then wrap insulation tape several times around the drill bit to create a depth stop on the drill bit. i.e. if the distance from the outside of the caliper to the nipple seat is 10mm, then wrap insulation tape 10mm from the end of the drill bit.