Help :(

Knoxy

Fresh Recruit
I have a starlet SR ep91. Yesterday I was driving along when suddenly my car cut out, only for like half a second, then came back on. I didnt really think anything of it as it did come back on and seemed fine after it. Today I went out and started the car and it started fine but tried it again 10 minutes ago and it wouldnt start... o_O at first I thought it was the battery but its not even ticking, genuinley nothing is happening :( My car has an immobilizer and my key is kinda bent so thought it might be the immobilizer shutting everything down if it didnt register the key (not sure how they work really) but it could also be something to do with the engine as its not even ticking or trying to start. anyone had a similar problem? sorry for the book here but just wanted to try and describe eveything... thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas... rep will be given.

Rev

Member +
Strange no tick or fuel pump noise ? Ive heard the ignition can wear out so it looks on but power does not go to the engine unless you jiggle the key. as you have a problem with the key it is worth a try.

dac69er

Super Moderator
souds like it could be the immobiliser if you are getting nothing at all. i would check all the wires related to it. especially the earths

Rob H

Member +
as far as I know you carnt reprogram the keys you have to change the immobilizer ecu and the sensor ring on the steering column I have to change mine after having a key stolen. I would start by checking the mega fuse for the battery and alternator sounds more like a connection problem if its hit and miss check the nut/bolts that old the wires onto the bottom of the fuses too you will have to lift the fuse box out to do that.
If it was the immobilizer you get the dash lights and stuff but it wont start are you getting the dash lights??

ianmcintoshi

Member +
When he tries to start the car the dash lights flicker on then straight back of again, make me think it is some sort of electrical fault rather than the immobilizer.

Knoxy

Fresh Recruit
right guys, its a different story everytime I start the thing... first time nothing was happening, second time the dash lights were coming on but still no engine trying to come on. Just tried it again there the now and nothing is happening again. Im gonna try and jump start it tomoro to see if that works (probably wont though) if that fails then ill do what all you guys have said and check everything. might just rip the thing apart... thanks :)

Last edited:

turbo head

Munster Area Rep.
sumthing similar happened to me b4 but wot it was is there was a smaller positive wire connected to the main positive wire on the battery and the the end had faried away an it cut out completly so when i was checkin under te bonnet i shock the wires on the battery poles an tried it again an it started but as soon as i hit a bit of a bump it cut out again. i dont know is that anygood to ya but it might open ur options sum bit

Knoxy

Fresh Recruit
sumthing similar happened to me b4 but wot it was is there was a smaller positive wire connected to the main positive wire on the battery and the the end had faried away an it cut out completly so when i was checkin under te bonnet i shock the wires on the battery poles an tried it again an it started but as soon as i hit a bit of a bump it cut out again. i dont know is that anygood to ya but it might open ur options sum bit

yeah man that is good info... ill make sure and check everything to do with the battery tomoro thanks :)

Knoxy

Fresh Recruit
right, I fixed the problem. The first thing I checked was the battery and its connections and it turns out the connection on the terminal was loose... I didnt have enough time to check it untill today, so dont take the piss out of me too much yeah :p lol im such a twat, thanks anyway guys, appreciate the help :)

Knoxy

Fresh Recruit
Good to see you got it sorted man, nothing worse than buying a car and having problems with it!

thanks man and yeah that is true, still needs a new petrol tank and rear drums before I can drive her and not feel like im doing more damage than good :( but atleast heres one less problem to worry about lol