home made parcel shelf...

markeybhoy

Member +
alrighty chaps and chapettes.

ive got my sound system in but im not too happy about the parcel shelf, feel as though they are too thin and "puiny" to allow my 6x9's to work to their full potential. also the same with the board above the spare tyre in the boot that my sub n amp are sitting on (a bit too shakey)

has anyone on here did or know of anyone who has made a parcel shelf from MDF or something similar? same with making a new floor for the boot?

if so some advice would be appreciated. cheers.

Sigma

Member +
Put your 6x9's in the wheelie bin. Their sound reproductive qualities are shocking.

Spend your money on a pair of awesome 6.5" fronts and you wont need rears :)

These are my KEF Uni-Q composite drivers, running off a Nakamichi headunit and the sound, quoted from a member of "Sevenoaks" audio staff, is second to none.

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

If you ever want sucessful acoustic imaging in your starlet, this is where they need to go.

:)

markeybhoy

Member +
that looks the business mate.

in all honesty im not after awesome sound. the parcel shelf and board in boot are doing my head in as they keep jumping about, coilovers dont help matters either.

markeybhoy

Member +
looks good although i cant help but think that it cant be that sturdy. just looks the same as the original...h

Sigma

Member +
I suppose you could take your original unit, cut out the centre of it, leaving say, four inches perimeter, so the shape's bang on.. And then make a centre piece from 18mm MDF.

It'll be study, and when you've covered it, it'll look like your standard unit. :)

markeybhoy

Member +
I suppose you could take your original unit, cut out the centre of it, leaving say, four inches perimeter, so the shape's bang on.. And then make a centre piece from 18mm MDF.

It'll be study, and when you've covered it, it'll look like your standard unit. :)

i was thinking of doing that actually, mdf will give it some extra weight so will make it more stable. also i might just screw the parcel shelf down to the sides it rests on. just means it wont tilt up when i lift the boot which aint a major issue.

cheers sigma, think ill just do that!

Craig

Lifer
Put velcro around the sides and on the edges of the parcel shelf. That way it will hold down, and if you want to lift it up you can.

The rep button is just under my name ;)

WallaceGlanza

Member +
If you look at the one I had it was just the stock shelf with a piece of mdf screwed onto the underneath, then the holes cut through both the mdf and shelf for the speakers. Then on the top of the shelf was wire mesh over the holes to protect the speakers and acoustic carpet laid over it. It fitted really snug and didn't rattle like the standard shelf as it had a good bit of weight to it with the added mdf and speakers.

I wouldn't go screwing down the shelf as it doesnt need it. As I said It was really sturdy.

thomllee1981

Member +
last time i wanted a more sturdy shelf i fully cut one out from mdf with a jigsaw.
its not that difficult! take rough outline shape from orginal then trim down to fit. cut out holes for speakers then trim i suggest using spray contact glue to stick to material down works real well and esay to apply!
used a faux leather on the 1's ive made.

as for boot floor same idea really take boot carpet liner out draw round then cut out and trim as required its not a big job just take time and be patient gives better results!

i found also that it some times help to add a support in the middle of the shelf down to the boot floor to easy the weight on the shelf supports as they aint to easy to find replacements for.

do be warned lining your boot with such an amount of wood will add to the weight of the car overal and the pressure on the rear shocks.

markeybhoy

Member +
cheers for all the advice guys. hopefully if this weekend brightens up ill get started on it. ill be sure to take a few pics and stuff and post up a we log of what i did. might help someone in future...

cheers

glanzanut

Lifer
Put velcro around the sides and on the edges of the parcel shelf. That way it will hold down, and if you want to lift it up you can.

The rep button is just under my name ;)

lol i just repped u cause my one rattles, not anymore though happy days!!!:):):)