House Insurance - Construction type query

ady_glanza

Member +
Hello all

Just about to get insurance with another company for the house.

However it asks me if the house is built from brick, stone or concrete. This is where i am puzzled. My house is one of those that has a steel frame within the concrete slab walls, so the main build of it is concrete, but yet with a steel frame inside the concrete walls.

Therefore can i tick yes for this question or should i tick no. If i tick no its likely they won't quote me and the same question is asked by all home insurers. There is no option for other type of construction of steel frame.

You can't see any of the steel frame unless u you break the concrete walls down, so even if i did have to make a claim i could just deny that i knew anything about it as only the concrete is visible on the interior and exterior? Also i don't think other owners that have similar houses would know about them unless they did some research on them.

Any info much appreciated.

dac69er

Super Moderator
always best to ring them mate, then you can be 100% sure you are correct. but as all houses will either be steel or wood frames then i would say concrete

ady_glanza

Member +
always best to ring them mate, then you can be 100% sure you are correct. but as all houses will either be steel or wood frames then i would say concrete

hi mate
when you say all houses do you also mean that brick built properties would also have a steel frame?
thanks

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
id say just phone them up and explain as that type of house steel frame wouldnt be that common id say they just dont have it on the form :) i am a builder and come across them very rarely over here anyway :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
hi mate
when you say all houses do you also mean that brick built properties would also have a steel frame?
thanks

most are wood frame, some are steel. mostly industrial, or larger buildings that are steel framed due to the extra strength of the steel.

ady_glanza

Member +
id say just phone them up and explain as that type of house steel frame wouldnt be that common id say they just dont have it on the form :) i am a builder and come across them very rarely over here anyway :)

Very rare also means unable to quote or quote at a stupidly high price.