I want to refurbish my brakes

squeekyduck

Member +
I want to refurb my brakes.
I want to strip the calipers down, give them a good clean and change all the seals.

How big of a job is this? What tools are needs to change the seals?

Does anyone have a diagram outlining the part numbers of the parts needed?

Rob H

Member +
the only special tool you need is the wined back tool for the rear calipers if you are replacing all the seals you can just poke them out with a small screw driver if you are reusing them do the same but try not to damage them you only need to replace the seals if they are leaking most of the time they can be reused just give them a clean with some clean brake fluid or brake cleaner. when putting back only use proper brake grease do not use copper slip or normal grease on any of the rubber parts or seals the rubber will react with the grease and grow! 4 or 5 hours should see the job done the fronts are dead easy the rears are a bit more fiddly and make sure you dont cross thread the piston on the adjuster screw they damage very easily!

squeekyduck

Member +
the only special tool you need is the wined back tool for the rear calipers if you are replacing all the seals you can just poke them out with a small screw driver if you are reusing them do the same but try not to damage them you only need to replace the seals if they are leaking most of the time they can be reused just give them a clean with some clean brake fluid or brake cleaner. when putting back only use proper brake grease do not use copper slip or normal grease on any of the rubber parts or seals the rubber will react with the grease and grow! 4 or 5 hours should see the job done the fronts are dead easy the rears are a bit more fiddly and make sure you dont cross thread the piston on the adjuster screw they damage very easily!

Cheers mate. Rep added.

Anyone have the part numbers of all the standard brake caliper seals?

s.murphy

Leinster Area Rep.
Seal kits available on camskill mate. Tried to post the links but cant at the minute for some reason.

Stuart