Importing from Northern Ireland to the UK

turbo-roj

Member +
Does anyone know what will be required to import a car from northern ireland to the UK? have tried the DVLA but not very helpful! just need to know, will I be able to drive the car when I come over here, and will i need to accuire new plates and what not? perhaps the importers may know?

Cheers

glanov

Fresh Recruit
No mate should just be able till drive no bother!!
just regester at your address and no need too swap plates!!

I got my glanza from the UK too N.I still whith english plates and no bother just drive ontill the boat and off the other side!!

turbo-roj

Member +
oh I know that, its what happens after that, I would have to re-register it to a UK car, which presumably would require new number plates?

glanov

Fresh Recruit
dont think you have till re resister the car as long as it is resistered!!
but i was able too keep english plates on mine when brung home so should be able to do the same with yours!!
Its not like your importing from another country were ya have too go get new regestrations!!

L900CMC

Member +
dont think you have till re resister the car as long as it is resistered!!
but i was able too keep english plates on mine when brung home so should be able to do the same with yours!!
Its not like your importing from another country were ya have too go get new regestrations!![

Yeh i brought mine over from england too,no need to change plates we are part of the uk!

Trevor

Member +
Importing

You would be just moving a car from one part of the UK to another hence you don't need to re-register it.You only have to notify DVLA of a change of ownership.You will also be able to keep the Northern Ireland plates if you want to.If you local DVLA tell you any different then they are wrong.Tell them to check it out properly.