Impreza Type R

Ep91 Tortoise

Fresh Recruit
Hello all,

Just been speaking with a mate who has a Lovely Type R Impreza with ohlins suspension etc etc... offered it to me at a bargain price but only downside is... Hes span a big end bearing. I know with these the whole lump has to come out and has to be stripped etc... just wondering if anybody knows a rough cost for new bearings on this and possibly reground crank + refitting. have been on scoobynet and looked through using search tab but to avail.

Thanks in advance.

wesgt

Lifer
Hello all,

Just been speaking with a mate who has a Lovely Type R Impreza with ohlins suspension etc etc... offered it to me at a bargain price but only downside is... Hes span a big end bearing. I know with these the whole lump has to come out and has to be stripped etc... just wondering if anybody knows a rough cost for new bearings on this and possibly reground crank + refitting. have been on scoobynet and looked through using search tab but to avail.

Thanks in advance.

don't know a price, but if it was me, once i had all apart i'd stick in forged bits and get it mapped properly, no worries then

scot-ish

Member +
don't know a price, but if it was me, once i had all apart i'd stick in forged bits and get it mapped properly, no worries then

yup. same here

and for summit like that, your looking at around 2k at my guess.

not worth a buy if you want summit cheap, but worth it if thats your next move anyways, and give you peace of mind for a few years.

RS-Ronan

Member +
a lad in Ireland is shit hot with these.
Dave in STI Tuning.he specializes in them!
get onto his site or isdc.ie and ask him!

Ep91 Tortoise

Fresh Recruit
a lad in Ireland is shit hot with these.
Dave in STI Tuning.he specializes in them!
get onto his site or isdc.ie and ask him!

Not worth me trailoring it all the way over to ireland mate with ferry costs etc... Thanks for the input though. Have emailed few companies were see what they shall say.

RS-Ronan

Member +
Not worth me trailoring it all the way over to ireland mate with ferry costs etc... Thanks for the input though. Have emailed few companies were see what they shall say.

sure you could always just ask him for a rough price anyway yano?
he's building my brothers one at the mo!

Fro

Member +
I was browsing scoobynet the other day, pretty sure there were a few engines for sale, thought about something like that?

robswrx

Fresh Recruit
Hi Mate

I have been there and done that with the 'spun bearing' on my WRX. Its a common problem with the scoobs due to the horizontally opposed engine. Cheapest and one of the better options is to drop in a V7 onwards STI bottom end - add Cometic gaskets for a good 350bhp + base. You can also buy a crate 2.5 STI block from Subaru for around £1500 if you know who to contact.

You could have a rocket of a car for decent money - depending on what is being asked. Remember that you will also need to map the car or run it correctly with 97 + Octane Boost. Depening on the year of the car - mapping can be quite cheap and unlocks the full potential safely. Also budget for a full fluid change - the best thing to keep things tip top is to run a good oil and change it regularly.

Give me a shout if you need any more advice or a pointer in the right direction.

Rob

Sigma

Member +
As Rob said really, it's usually poor oil maintenance which causes the bottom end to go on these.

On the one we built, we fitted a Cosworth Oil Pan Baffle, which improves the control of the fluid in the sump.

That's what we've just made on the dyno :)

60464_445643460792_671510792_5523736_7971761_n.jpg

One thing I would say, is that if the owner/previous owner hasn't been bothered to keep up with engine oil changes, then have doubt toward the maintenance of the rest of the car, =|

If you need any more advise, drop me a PM.

Ep91 Tortoise

Fresh Recruit
Hi Mate

I have been there and done that with the 'spun bearing' on my WRX. Its a common problem with the scoobs due to the horizontally opposed engine. Cheapest and one of the better options is to drop in a V7 onwards STI bottom end - add Cometic gaskets for a good 350bhp + base. You can also buy a crate 2.5 STI block from Subaru for around £1500 if you know who to contact.

You could have a rocket of a car for decent money - depending on what is being asked. Remember that you will also need to map the car or run it correctly with 97 + Octane Boost. Depening on the year of the car - mapping can be quite cheap and unlocks the full potential safely. Also budget for a full fluid change - the best thing to keep things tip top is to run a good oil and change it regularly.

Give me a shout if you need any more advice or a pointer in the right direction.

Rob

Thanks for that mate.. Got a budjet of about 2k for the build. for a couple of months then ill see how things go and decide what i want from the car then... either going to forge it etc etc or just keep it how it is. Will do bud thanks for the input.

Ep91 Tortoise

Fresh Recruit
As Rob said really, it's usually poor oil maintenance which causes the bottom end to go on these.

On the one we built, we fitted a Cosworth Oil Pan Baffle, which improves the control of the fluid in the sump.

That's what we've just made on the dyno :)

60464_445643460792_671510792_5523736_7971761_n.jpg

One thing I would say, is that if the owner/previous owner hasn't been bothered to keep up with engine oil changes, then have doubt toward the maintenance of the rest of the car, =|

If you need any more advise, drop me a PM.

What spec was this running at? turbo set up etc... Thanks