Insurance - a warning to 'Club Discounts'

dac69er

Super Moderator
adrian flux do. not sure of the exact amount, but i mentioned my club membership and they knocked a bit off back when i took out the policy for the first time

starbuck

Member +
now thats got me thinking. Not that i have anything to worry about, all declared etc but this Big Brother snooping is worrying.

Sky insurance do as well.

scot-ish

Member +
i always thought this aswell, why ollie asks for you to pm him your number, then they call you, and for that purpose they can link, you your policy, and your username together.

i am not sayin they are doing this, before i get attacked, im just expressing my opinion on how he/they operate.

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
At what point did anyone think this wasn't happening?!

All mods declared, nuff said.

Arnold

Lifer
At what point did anyone think this wasn't happening?!

All mods declared, nuff said.

The club discount is bull. I got a quote and then I said "oh i'm with such and such club" and they said they'd taken that into consideration already, even though I hadn't mentioned it.

Anyway i'm fully declared! Dunno why people spend thousands modifiying cars then not bothering to insure them properley.

skyinsurance

Member +
i always thought this aswell, why ollie asks for you to pm him your number, then they call you, and for that purpose they can link, you your policy, and your username together.

i am not sayin they are doing this, before i get attacked, im just expressing my opinion on how he/they operate.

Oh FFS, I've seen this on a few forums now.. DO NOT tar us all with the same brush.

Can I ask, what would we (Sky Insurance - a BROKER) have to gain by trying to catch people out?

I am the only person who looks after our affiliated car club sites.. the only time I have had to look at someone details in this way is when a customer was all over the national press with his Nitrous fitted car, we do not insure any Nitrous equipped cars, this is well known so we had anonmonous tip offs and calls from our MD and the customer's underwriter.

The club that was posted on are far to suspicious.

Ollie

skyinsurance

Member +

Sorry, excuse me a moment but your post has pissed me off, how dare you accuse me of that?! You dont know me, you are forming your opinion based on something you read on a forum and you are totally wrong. We take usernames so we can prove to our underwriters that we have only given the club discount to a genuine (or paid up) member and so we can contact the club member via the forum if we need to.

I go to a lot of events , car meets etc.. in my own modified Toyota, I would not be able to hold my head up if I was skulking around behind the scenes looking to catch fellow car enthusiasts out.

My company are affilated with car clubs so we can insure car enthusiasts, our club discount is genuine and we have some of the best stats in the business off the back of insuring car club members.

Ollie

Last edited:

scot-ish

Member +
Sorry, excuse me a moment but your post has pissed me off, how dare you accuse me of that?! You dont know me, you are forming your opinion based on something you read on a forum and you are totally wrong. We take usernames so we can prove to our underwriters that we have only given the club discount to a genuine (or paid up) member and so we can contact the club member via the forum if we need to.

I go to a lot of events , car meets etc.. in my own modified Toyota, I would not be able to hold my head up if I was skulking around behind the scenes looking to catch fellow car enthusiasts out.

My company are affilated with car clubs so we can insure car enthusiasts, our club discount is genuine and we have some of the best stats in the business off the back of insuring car club members.

Ollie

you seem to have went pretty defensive over an accusation that is not there.

firstly, i didnt tar you or sky with any brush, all i said was, that i thought that was the reasonh, when i first seen the connection from pm, to call to policy, i didnt say you'z are snooping on people, i said that when i first seen how it was operated, as said via, pm call back etc, that it could then been done from that.

offcourse, you can say pm and call back is better customer service, because first you make the link on the forum, prrove there a member, and the call back is convenient for the buyer.

i also said "i am not sayin they(you/sky) are doing this, before i get attacked" but it seems you have gone and assumed i said that, i said that from the way its operated, i.e a pm etc, that it can then be seen to come accross like that.

and as people have said, if you dont declare everything, then you indeed should be done for insurance fraud. but the point most people make is, you dont expect to be snooped on(again ollie, i am not saying you are doing this)

skyinsurance

Member +
Sorry but you saying 'I always thought this as well' in reply to the original post says to me that you think we are snooping. If I am wrong I apologise.

But I would invite the question again.. and this isn't aimed at you:

what would we (Sky Insurance - a BROKER) have to gain by trying to catch people out?

I suppose it would be not much, as you aren't the company paying out anything if things go wrong. Unless there is a incentive scheme from the actual company insuring the person themselves.

Although it's a moot point, if you aren't fully insured you deserve the reaming you get and shouldn't be on the road.

skyinsurance

Member +
I suppose it would be not much, as you aren't the company paying out anything if things go wrong. Unless there is a incentive scheme from the actual company insuring the person themselves.

The only thing we would have to gain is charging the customer for the undisclosed modifications, but seeing as we would only keep a very small percentage of this figure, it would be a very backward idea.. not to mention the fatc that if we were doing this, the customer would obviously be aware and word would spread across forums like wild fire.
You are exactly right, we do not pay out for claims, we are a broker so we place the business with our panel of underwriters.

Although it's a moot point, if you aren't fully insured you deserve the reaming you get and shouldn't be on the road.

Absolutely agree 100%

Last edited:

scot-ish

Member +
as said before, my post is not aimed at yourself.

and i seen your company on websites along time ago, and this is when i first thought about how easy it would be to make the link, and indeed check the username out.

you could then offcourse note the details to the underwriters, and if a claim comes out, they then have a note from somewhere, stating that the car wasnt covered completely, an assesor is sent out, with these notes, looks for anyhting outside the policy, i.e modifcations. the claim is then void, the underwriters save 5k or watever for this claim, the broker recieves 5 or 10%, and there you have it, a very easy money making scheme, and for what, an hour or two a day on forums. lets face it, how many people do you know who dont declare everything, i bet more than 50% of people on forums. as you see alot of young people driving cars they obviously cant afford to insure properly.

assesors are sometimes sent out anyways, and if they inspect and find something, then the owner wouldnt really make a link from the forum, that way no word would spread, and a reputation would be kept. and the person who is caught, wouldnt be keen on putting a thread up saying they got caught with insurnace fraud, so not many people would be able to make the link of the same company catching people out.

again, i am not sayin this is what you do, all im showing is a very easy way to make extra money in your industry, from a very simple situation.

Last edited:

davehart

Member +

Quite correct, if I were an insurer I would want to have a look at club forums for the policy holder in question. Only those with something to worry about will be the ones who kick up a fuss about this, those who are properly covered won't give a toss.

It is those who dont insure there cars properly that drive other honest folk's premiums up.