Introducing myself

dmw_86

Member +
Hi everyone.
Just a quick hello to you all.

Having had my Honda Prelude written off (which is still an on going claim over 3 months after the accident - truely shocking) I now have myself set to get a Starlet GT Turbo.

So far I've just been reading up on the cars on here and from various places on the internet. Living close to Southampton, I will probably be getting one direct from an importer then registering etc myself. Hopefully that will help get me a better deal and also let me have a better choice - it seems sensible to buy that way when there are so many available just down the road from me really, rather than going the private route :D

I popped down for a look about on Friday at a few, but haven't really seen anything that special yet. They also said there were two more deliveries due this month so I'm going to hold out in the hope of a bigger selection.

Anyway, hopefully my claim will be sorted soon and I can join you guys on here once I get myself one sorted !

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Welcome mate. You've picked a great site to join, everyone on here is friendly and helpful and the traders on site aren't scared to give a bit of impartial advice. There's a wealth of knowledge about both GT's and Glanza's available on here so any questions just fire away, I'm sure you'll get some quality opinions/advice.

Good luck with getting yourself a car mate and once more, WELCOME!

dmw_86

Member +
Cheers for the welcome Hutch.

I officially became a Starlet owner today, picking up a '95 quadlight GT turbo.
Unfortunately (understatement - I'm gutted beyond belief) due to some completely incorrect info given to me despite checking multiple times before hand, I currently own a vehicle I might not be able to even insure :( There's nothing like what should have been a great day turning into a pile of dog doo to put a downer on things.

Suffice to say said insurance company has had an ear full on a mammoth scale, and I will now be crossing fingers, toes and anything else I can in the hope I find an insurance company that will provide me with a quote I can afford.

I'd like to be optimistic, but having seen the scale of the quote given to me today by Adrian Flux (under Highways insurance) things aren't looking too good. I'll be hitting the phone tommorow on to everyone I can find - the list in the insurance section will I hope find me a company who can give me what I need.

*starlet_babe*

Member +
oh adrian flux :-( I've heard nothing but bad things about them just recently, they couldn't even quote me fully comp the best i got was tpft which was ridiculous amount of money.

btw welcome to the site hun :) Hope you get everything sorted! Got fingers crossed :)

thomllee1981

Member +
try lancaster insureance mate worked a treat for me!

ive got points and claims on my liscense and still payed under £600 fully comp!

welcome to the site btw!

Adam_Glanza

Member +
try elephant/admiral insurance there the cheapest for the moment for me!

im only 18 and on my own fully comp a gt turbo was £1700

depending on wat age you age its gonna be less, but thats the thing you should of checked before buying it mate!

dmw_86

Member +
All sorted now thankfully. I was previously with Admiral, but they were the ones that gave the wrong info and basically lead me to purchase a car I then found they wouldn't insure with some pathetic reasoning behind that.

Anyway, oddly Bell (Same parent company as Admiral - Eui Limited) didn't have any issues at all insuring me, understood exactly what it was I needed to do / have and sorted me out with a reasonable quote too.

They also recognised my NCB the same way as Admiral did (20months resulting from 2 x 10month policies = 2 years NCB), so my quote for 12 months was ~£900 fully comp.

So it looks like I will be keeping my Starlet after all :D
MOT is booked for Tuesday, so fingers crossed I'll be set to drive it by the end of October.

dmw_86

Member +
21 - licence for about 2 1/2 years :)
It would have been less than £900 but I currently couldn't afford to pay the entire premium all at once so the pay monthly route jacked it up a bit higher.

I intend to pay the first month then get clear of the rest next month as they said they will then recalculate it back down again. Still, for the performance, my age and the fact it is an import, I can't really complain.

I've also fully checked out the exhaust as it is clearly aftermarket. I had a nice suprise.

Rear is definitely Trust, after net checking probably a Silent Force Revolution
Mid section has a Jasma plate on it so probably Trust too, and the downpipe looks similar to the other two parts. Not bad considering the rear section new is ~£300 and I have the other two parts as well.Pretty cool bonus considering the price I paid for the car :D

dmw_86

Member +
I'll hopefully get some up here by the end of the month.
I don't have a lot of space on my drive for good ones at the moment, so I'll leave them til i can drive it somewhere nice :D

dmw_86

Member +
Wahey, just got the car back from the MOT.
It passed without any issues, but it was recommended I drop it back down once it has been registered so they can check over it for a minor service.

Good news :D

Now I just need to get all the other paperwork sorted out before I can go get it registered and out on the road. Handily I have next week off work !

dmw_86

Member +
Well, all my paperwork went off to the main DVLA offices today.
Fingers crossed it was all correct and the guy that checked didn't miss something, he seemed to go through it awfully fast. Not much longer now and I will have my own car again for the first time in nearly 4 months :D

dmw_86

Member +
Just a quick one guys & girls.
I made an effort to clean the alloys today, as the previous owner obviously forgot how to wash them :(. They look a bit better but they aren't up to my standards yet and I have plans for them later on. Quick before & after pics (Obviously not the same wheel but gives an idea :p) Hopefully they aren't too large !
davewelch-before.jpg
davewelch-after.jpg

I doubt they are anything special as they seem almost completely unbranded other than the usual size / loading info inside and the JWL stamp on the outside. The main thing that might help is the BR logo. An internet trawl didn't come up with any info.
davewelch-brlogo.jpg
Anyone familiar with them ?

dmw_86

Member +
I don't think the general rust or corrosion spots do them many favours either hehe. I completely agree though, but for now my bank account needs to recover before I go spending on more things. Hopefully my outstanding insurance claim (~£1k) will pay out some day soon and I might be able to go shopping for something nice then :D