Japspeed exhaust

nistarbo

Member +
Got a new one of these fitted today and have the rattle that comes with it. Does anyone have a good solution.
Stiffer rubbers or heat wrap on axle or anything that helps?
It's touching the bumper so that won't help but will wedge something in temporary probably then get the bumper trimed to suit.
Thanks Anthony

Last edited:

dac69er

Super Moderator
i found there is quite a bit of play in everything so you can normally just undo the bolts and move it about to improve things.

however, one of my japspeed exhausts i got super cheap and the fitment want as good as the one i paid full price on. i just marked where it hit and then used a gas torch and a hammer to adjust it. also bent the hangers on the rear box a little too.

davehart

Member +
They either knock on the rear beam or knock on the bumper. I've used a few cable ties on mine as well as polybush mounts. It knocks a little less now its been lowered on coilovers.

Good system for the price but shit fitment.

Only thing to to do is just as Dac said, keep fiddling around with it. Some folk have wrapped the rear beam and system in wrap to reduce the noise.

nistarbo

Member +
Thanks lads. Think il go the polybush route first. The mounts on mine are average rubber and I got the cable ties on the back to try and keep it as far away from the rear beam.
Anyone know the best place to get them and is there many brands for these?

nistarbo

Member +
Thanks.
My original exhaust was Japspeed as well but the flexi was broke and needed replaced and one of the hangers on the backbox had snapped. I found a full brand new system for slightly more than the price it was going to Cost to fix so was the best option.
I see id works sell a full set of powerflex bushes for £30 any one used them?

dac69er

Super Moderator
I use the same ones on mine. They are ok. Get them from larkspeed a bit cheaper. Search powerflex exh005

nistarbo

Member +
Got the powerflex rubbers on there today no help at all. Went to a few custom type places and they recommend that I go 2 and a quarter inch pipe rite through for clearance etc as the Japspeed goes from 2 and quarter front to mid then mid to back is 3". They say 3" is just to big. Anybody think this will be ristrictive. Il be keeping the Japspeed backbox with this also.
Thoughts please.
Thanks
Anthony

dac69er

Super Moderator
2.25 on a Ct9 or td04 @ around 1bar is fine. Any more and you would want to look for something larger.

The exhaust should fit. Even when mine did knock, it was only slightly every now and then. After some adjustments it was fine. My other exhaust didn't need much adjusting at all and it never knocks at all

nistarbo

Member +
Cheers m8 I've no plan of anything more than td04 higher than 1bar atm. Currently ct9 at roughly 0.9. Td04 in the near future hopefully. My exhaust isn't sitting great. Maybe a bad batch or something but is about an inch away from tunnel shield or whatever it is and not great clearance on tank shield, barely a finger gap on axle which is where it's hitting and touching the bumper.

davehart

Member +
I think its luck of the draw with these system, some are worse than others. I think you've just got one of the worse ones.

Mine still knocks but only over bumps now since I lowered it.

nistarbo

Member +
Yea looks like a bad 1. I still have the old 1 mid right back to backbox. So I could maybe try it although it knocked a bit but not much. Think I may go the 2.25 right through just for no knocking at all for a while lol. What is standard exhaust diameter?

dac69er

Super Moderator
i think standard is about 2-2.25 anyway, but obviously the standard exhaust has a cat and a non-straightthrough rear box so would be slightly more restrictive.

nistarbo

Member +
Loved the sound with standard exhaust on my mates gt. What would be maximum power with ported manifold and chopped off cat on standard exhaust. I presume about 1 bar td04 as well then?