Just got a Code 52 - Knock Sensor

Glanza_MK

Member +
Chaps,

While driving home tonight I noticed the engine warning light had come on. I stopped for petrol and after restarting the car the light had gone off. I was wary that something could be up so as I went off up the road I let the revs and boost climb slowly. The light came back on at around 3k revs so I drove home very gingerly.

Diagnostic has come up as Code 52 - Knock Sensor. After doing a bit of reading on here, it seems like this means something is up with the sensor or cabling. So I have a couple of questions...

1) Does this definetely mean that something is wrong with the sensor or loom? Or does this code mean that the ECU is detecting knock?

2) Are there any confirmed tests for testing the sensor and loom? I understand its only single wire right?

Just for info, im running 0.8bar on standard CT9, decat, relocated filter and JAM ECU so would be very suprised if the engine was knocking. Especially at 3k RPM!!

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

John

MentaLEP91

Member +
hmm first of all, remove the main EFI fuse of the fusebox for about 5mins or so to reset the ECU fault logs.

Then drive her for about 50miles WITHOUT booting it. If the engine light goes on again, stop and do the ECU fault test, then tell us what u found cause right now if u havent reseted the ECUs error logs, then it could be showing past errors and faults.

for now if there is a problem with the engine knocking, first of all check the advance, then search for a dodgy spot on the knock sensors loom, and even replace the sensor.

dac69er

Super Moderator
i had the same problem when my bodged knock sensor and wiring went tits up.
over a certain rpm, if the ecu doesnt get any reading at all it puts up the light.

double check the plug is on the sensor ok. try unpluggin, then plugging the sensor back in.

if that doesnt work then you will have to investigate the sensor, plug or wiring a bit deeper

Glanza_MK

Member +
Thanks fellas.

Mental, my timing was set just recently to 10degrees BTDC so that should be ok. Will reset the ECU and try again, although the light is still coming on when driving the car normally.

Dunc, already been reading up on your threads which has helped mate! Good to hear that the light always comes on if theres no signal.

I did quite a bit of work on my car yesterday but didnt really go anywhere near that area. Could have knocked something at some point though I guess!