just re built and now a ticking noise

starletjosh

Member +
just put new rods, pistons, ect
now when its running i have a ticking noise.
if my idle control valve was making a noise would it still do it when its hot ?

starletjosh

Member +
just tried it. Still making the noise. It sounds like its top end. But when i take the oil cap off it doesnt get louder. Hmmm

Phil

Super Moderator
:haha:

yeah lol what wallace billybob and obviously chris said, i think thats likely to be the issue right there.

Phil

starletjosh

Member +
done that at work today and still no better. Let it run up to get hot and still had the noise and when i blip the throttle im still getting blue smoke. Im seriously thinking about burning it. Ive already done valve stem seals piston rings and the turbo has done 1000 miles. Dont know what else it could be.

billybob

Untrusted Seller
done that at work today and still no better. Let it run up to get hot and still had the noise and when i blip the throttle im still getting blue smoke. Im seriously thinking about burning it. Ive already done valve stem seals piston rings and the turbo has done 1000 miles. Dont know what else it could be.

ok did you do a compression test first of all
who rebuilt the engine
were the pistons new or reused if reused did they go back into engine the same order they came out.
can you get a video up please so we can listen to engine and see smoke.

starletjosh

Member +
i'll try to get a video on here tomorrow. We rebuilt it all at work. I did a compression test and i had between 160 and 170 all across. The pistons are from a different engine but ive had them and the bores checked.

350ep70gr

Member +
I will tell you something that maybe sounds funny but remove your belts and run it for few seconds to see if the noise is present.
I had an at about the same noise coming from the head and was louder near the idle valve. Was sound like a valve with too much clearence if you know what i mean.
I was searching for days as it was very stange and had spent a lot of money to this engine..to find out that was a faulty altenator bearing. But the sound was like it was coming from the midle of the head.
Give it a try.. Also same noise can be produced from oil deep stick mount if not tight,crank pulley if not tight enough,water pump and tensioners of timing belt. Have a look at them aswell.

Chris

starletjosh

Member +
original cams and where i had the valves lapped in i had it re shimmed by an engineering company who we use. Ive double checked all the clearences and there all ok.

starletjosh

Member +
original cams and where i had the valves lapped in i had it re shimmed by an engineering company who we use. Ive double checked all the clearences and there all ok.