Kenwood head unit major problem - UPDATE

ady_glanza

Member +
Hello all

Just thought i'd give you an update about the headunit problem I posted a thread about last time on this site.

I've just been with the installer again at the place where i purchased the head unit from
we did various tests again and have found that the stereo runs fine when the car is not started, however as soon as we start it, then it goes into protect mode

The installer said that the headunit can't handle the 14.4v which the car outputs, and can probably handle only 11 - 13V, the allowance on the headunit should be 11-16v as stated in the manual

We also tested anothed kenwood in the car which was more basic and that worked fine.

The shop owner is still not convinced and tried it in his car while it was started and it worked fine, however his car is a Renault Megane, so i don't know if that makes a difference.

They are going to send it back to Kenwood, but will they test it in a car or just on the bench. If they find no fault then i'm stuck with a faulty head unit and have to also pay £30 where there is no fault found, plus how do i know the shop owner will be telling me the truth as he could its fine when it isn't and i have to pay a £30 fee plus faulty head unit.

Thanks

ASHep82

Member +
You bought the headunit for you're car bro so if it doesn't work in you're car give it back tell him you have rights and if he doesn't take it back youlle go to trading standards.I have a kenwood stereo it worked in my gt and it works in my ep91 too.
There could be something wring with you're wiring tho so check that properly

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
Unless it specifically stated that it does not work in your car or it certain volts etc then get your money back.

If it was sold under the impression that it would work in your car then the contract was broke by the party selling as the goods do not work as stated.

ady_glanza

Member +
You bought the headunit for you're car bro so if it doesn't work in you're car give it back tell him you have rights and if he doesn't take it back youlle go to trading standards.I have a kenwood stereo it worked in my gt and it works in my ep91 too.
There could be something wring with you're wiring tho so check that properly

hi mate
the wiring has been fully tested and everthing is fine.
He's refusing to take it back as the head unit works in his car so he's still blaming me, plus he states he can't take it back as i've had it in my car so he can't sell it on to someone else.

ady_glanza

Member +
Unless it specifically stated that it does not work in your car or it certain volts etc then get your money back.

If it was sold under the impression that it would work in your car then the contract was broke by the party selling as the goods do not work as stated.

hi mate
he's refusing to refund me as i've had it in my car and now feels that my car may have made the head unit faulty hence he can't take it back and sell it on.

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
hi mate
he's refusing to refund me as i've had it in my car and now feels that my car may have made the head unit faulty hence he can't take it back and sell it on.
But it hasnt,its faulty only in your model car.It was sold to you on the terms that it would work,it does not so the item does not hold to the agreement so your entitled to a refund. Get onto the consumer rights group,they set you straight in black and white.

ady_glanza

Member +
But it hasnt,its faulty only in your model car.It was sold to you on the terms that it would work,it does not so the item does not hold to the agreement so your entitled to a refund. Get onto the consumer rights group,they set you straight in black and white.

hi mate
his main argument is that it works in his car and not mine, so he's saying that something is wrong the electrics in my car.
Do you have a contact for this consumer rights group. I'm a bit concerned in the sense that he has my address (due to me having to fill in a returns form) and with me possibly putting in a complaint against his shop, it could strike back at me.

ady_glanza

Member +
http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/contact

I take it your in the UK yes?

And he said that

So it is not a fault,its the way its built.

hi mate
the reference regarding the voltage is what the guy who fitted the stereo for me, he has done hundreds of installs including much bigger ones and has never had such a problem. He feels that the headunit can't take the higher end of the voltage that it should be able to take.

I am in the UK (West Yorkshire)

Thanks

Ady

steo800

Member +
plug the stereo in, but do not plug the speakers in. see if it goes into protect mode then.

He is refusing a repair/replacement/refund on the grounds that the car's output voltage is 14.4 when running, and the manual states up to 16v. He is contradicting the manual and has no grounds to refuse you one of the 3 r's.

Did yous test to see if your getting 14.4v from your car, or is he just guessing? if guessing, get a voltmeter and check it

ady_glanza

Member +
plug the stereo in, but do not plug the speakers in. see if it goes into protect mode then.

He is refusing a repair/replacement/refund on the grounds that the car's output voltage is 14.4 when running, and the manual states up to 16v. He is contradicting the manual and has no grounds to refuse you one of the 3 r's.

Did yous test to see if your getting 14.4v from your car, or is he just guessing? if guessing, get a voltmeter and check it

hi mate
it still goes into protect mode when the speakers are disconnected
The voltage has been tested and the output is exactly 14.4v.
thanks

ady_glanza

Member +
yeah, your alternator is probably overcharging, do you suffer often with blown bulbs?

Hi mate
your point could be a good one as one of my front bulb recently blew, however if the alternator is overcharging then both headlights bulbs should go at the same time and not just 1.
But we did a test on the alternator and the output is 14.4.v
How do you reduced the alternator charge, although this not be a good idea.
thanks

Last edited: