Knocking sound at 2,200 rpm

F4kus

Member +
Hi there, i've got a ep82 GT with what im pretty sure is a knackered turbo..( Bluey smoke, smells oily, bit of oil leaking from dump valve)
What im now experiencing is when car is in neutral and rev'd once it gets past 2,200 rpm there is quite a loud knocking sound and continues to about 3,500rpm . Not sure if it does it when driving as is hard to hear over exhaust! Was wondering if this is the turbo dying further or if I have some other new problem?
Cheers hope someone can help to ease my mind haha

akyakapotter

Member +
take the airfilter side off the turbo and check for in out play and side to side play should be none mate you will no if its fooked

somal

Member +
sounds like bottom end, take a screw driver to the rocker and see if u can narrow down the sound

kemnaychris

Member +
Sound like u blew the bottom end I had oil all threw my intercooler pipes and cooler, catch can the lot n it was piston ring number 3 oil everywhere :( have a look for metal shaving if there their then that's maybe ur problem mate

Si-W

Member +
a noise we all have heard and shed a tear over, sounds like bottom end as somal said take a screw driver to it bud, your turbo wouldnt cause a knocking if that had gone you would hear a screaming usualy or boost problems, hope its not though!

F4kus

Member +
sounds like its coming from rocker cover to me...but only makes noise on idle . getting new turbo soon so when doing that will investigate further and let you know what i find. cheers for help