Knocking/Ticking noise from engine/gearbox.

jackkelly

Member +
Well lads, when the car is cold and plant the shoe in any gear there is no noise at all! As soon as it warms up a bit and plant the shoe in any gear it will start to tick/knock 'til around 2700 rpm, it goes away after that. Get a lot worse if I have a full car or going up hills. 4th gear is gone in the gearbox and it is low enough on gearbox oil. Could this be the gearbox or bottom end? There is no knocking at all when the clutch is pressed in at all. So this is why I'm thinking it is the box. If car is reving really low say 700 rpm and I plant shoe for a split second (not in gear) it will knock a little as if it's about to die but that's the only noise that comes from the engine. Need an oil change as it's gone past its service time, getting a little smokey and just starting to burn a little oil. Any idea is this big end/bottom end trouble or just gearbox problems? Please help getting anxious as it's only getting louder!! :(

STARLET N/A

Member +
the chances are that its your gearbox, because you will be able to hear engine knock if when car is at a stand still.

jackkelly

Member +
It will knock a little when car is about to die (idling low)and i rev it up again. Should I change gearbox and see how it goes from there?

dac69er

Super Moderator
sounds like you need to look after your car a bit better if you dont service it and you let the gearbox oil in the box get low!!!!!!!!

could be the box, but when you put the clutch in there is no load on the engine so could still be bottom end. does sound very much like it could be. drop the oil out and see if you have any metalic lookin bits on there. if so its rebild time i would say.

by the sounds of it the box is knackered anyway so may be a good chance to overhaul the engine and gearbox!

jackkelly

Member +
Cheers for quick reply lad, got the car for nothing so knew there'd be a few problems, serviced car when I bought it but knocking only started happening after a while. 4th is gone in the box so will need a new box soon. Will change oil and filter tomorrow as it is due. Will check for deposits of metal and if there is some in there I will go about getting a new engine. If not I'll change gearbox and go from there. How thick will the metal be?