laptop memory Question!?

dac69er

Super Moderator
got a new laptop and want to upgrade the memory to 2 GB.

my question is, what is the difference between 5300s ram and normal 5300?

also where is the cheapest and best place to get this from?

the full code on the stick of ram i currently have is;
512MB 2Rx16 PC2-5300s-555-12-a3

thanks

GTti

Member +
How big is it? They're smaller a size than normal PC DIMM slots?

S is probably the laptop version.

dac69er

Super Moderator
both types are laptop size mate. cant seem to find what the actual difference is between the two types apart from the non s version seems more common

GTti

Member +
Oh It's been a long time since I built a PC but I appear to be right :D I only work in computers and mainframes - strictly not a hobby anymore :p

Laptop

PC

dac69er

Super Moderator
ah right. so the sellers on ebay that have it as just normal 5300 are just not putting the s at the end.

thanks mate. cleared that up anyway. now i know what to get i hope!

starbogt

Member +
as long as you use the pc2 ddr2 5300 sodimm you will be ok but don't mix and match where possible. You won't be using the old 512 anyway. Any variation in speed will be corrected by the computer I replaced mine with faster memory and it couldn't run it at max speed and so ran it the fastest it could. the s will just be a variation from the company that supplied the original memory. Make sure they look the same as your original and if it doesn't then contact the maker of your laptop and they can point in the correct direction.

GTti

Member +
ah right. so the sellers on ebay that have it as just normal 5300 are just not putting the s at the end.

thanks mate. cleared that up anyway. now i know what to get i hope!

Yes they've just listed it with SO-DIMM in the title rather than putting S on the end.

Trust me, I might be rusty but I used to build PC's from 14 years old upwards!

Although it was SIMM's and EDO RAM back then :p

dac69er

Super Moderator
cool. want to get 2 sticks of 1GB so the old stuff wont be used anymore anyway.

will just stick the old stuff on ebay and get a bit of money back from it.

cheers guys

GTti

Member +
I replaced mine with faster memory and it couldn't run it at max speed and so ran it the fastest it could.

Most Motherboard BIOS' will autodetect safe latencies, but as Starbogt said - buy them in a pair, same brand, latencies and bus speed.

Latencies are the 5-5-5 part
Bus speed is the PC2 5300 part (Relates to DDR2 and a speed in Mhz)

Have no idea why memory companies decided to confuse the fuck out of everyone 5 years ago by introducing this PC 2300 / PC2 5300 naming convention bollocks.

It's been a long while since the days of joining the L1 and L2 bridges of an AMD processor with a graphite pencil! :p

Last edited:

gv1.3

Admin
It's been a long while since the days of joining the L1 and L2 bridges of an AMD processor with a graphite pencil! :p

whats that got to do with the RAM in his laptop?

anyway....

Mate if you are in doubt of what to use give the manufacturer or distributor a shout and tell them you wish to buy another stick of RAM and ask them for the exact type.

When you get the exact type PM me and Ill have a look at a few notebooks next time im in the office and see if there is any not being used.

dac69er

Super Moderator
cheers mate.

well this should be the exact type i would presume:

512MB 2Rx16 PC2-5300s-555-12-a3

its what it has on the sticker anyway

GTti

Member +
He has the exact type. He's got the right stuff, he doesn't need to confuse himself by speaking to some dip shit in a call centre who can't speak a word of English.

Clearly that phrase has nothing to do with the memory in his laptop. Hence why it was in a second paragraph!

gv1.3

Admin
clearly you are trying to over complicate matters or make some of this stuff sound difficult.

im building computers since I was a kid but that's not really anything to be proud of.. everything slots together and you install an os on top its hardly rocket science.

It helps nooone to talk jargon etc and make things that are simple sound difficult plus if you really knew about bridging those correctly you would have used a conductive ink.

ill have a look for some of that ram when im back at the office and let you know.

GTti

Member +
if you really knew about bridging those correctly you would have used a conductive ink.

I remember you now.

You were critizing mainframes which I work on a couple of years back. And you're right I don't really follow home computers, I have no interest in any of it (For a long time).

I can see that it actually irritates you to know that other people also know about computer architecture and software.

Even though I do some of the same work as you in my job... I find it much more thrilling performing software installations and fault fixing with mainframes that cost millions each and have 1/6th of the population sitting on them using outsourced services. A degridation of service for less than an hour on one machine will mean I'm responsible for more than £10k of departmental cash.

Anyway, I'll let you go find some 'SO-DIMMs' from your computer cupboard.

P.S. Oh and the pencil was obviously conductive enough wasn't it...

gv1.3

Admin
haha... I obviously touched a nerve....

are you still smarting from the comments regarding the BIG project you were involved in where you spent millions and the machines involved never updated with daylight savings time :) LOL

Mate you can try drag me into a pissing competition if you want but its been a very long time since I did the sort of work you are trying to do, I make my company and myself a lot of money now, not cost them it.

Oh and a little tip on the graphite.... ever think it might degrade and turn to dust after a while?? thats why conductive ink is preferable. If you want any further tips let me know ;)

GTti

Member +
No offense, we have large customers (mainly BT), dealing with telephony, SIP, SS7, 21CN and a host of GSM networks (HLR, MSC etc). And I assume now that it's a totally different kettle of fish to whatever it is you're doing.

As you know, any work is chargeable as well as a support contract for the equipment we supply (They purchase). But I'm sure you didn't need that explaining.

It was more like your ignorance and assumption that got on my wick, when actually you seem have no idea about these systems or telephony. Although to be honest, my work is not in any specific area.

gv1.3

Admin
haha mate... lets not get into this... "a host of GSM networks" (HLR MSC etc)... they aint networks they are part of the core dude... I was involved in testing and deploying the first IPC's and GSN's used in western europe and before that in implementing time division multiplexing in HSCSD haha mate your gonna lose here so lets just say you know everything and ill smile widely and nod.... LOL