Leak which has confused hell out of me.

Just pulled onto my driveway today and i have noticed the car is leaking a fluid from somewhere however i dont know what the hell it is.

Its at the back of the block on the right hand side , if you imagine looking top down on the block its between the dissy cap and where the airbox would sit, its underneath the strut brace just above the steering rack gator on the passenger wheel.

Its not oil and my coolant level appears ok and it does not seem to be brake fluid. Looking from the top i have identified a pip which does not appear to have a home with a diameter of about 10mm. This is the leaking pipe.

Has anyone else had anything odd like this. At the moment the car is working fine, air con is working fine etc etc so i'm bloody lost.

Any help on this one?

Thanks

Jon

It has the appearance of water which is why i'm confused that the coolant seems ok. It feels like it has an alkaline factor though as i have a soapy feeling hand now.

Too low on the block to be washer jets too i think as the pipe is probably 2 inch above the steering gator.

dac69er

Super Moderator
does it only happen when you use the aircon?
if so thats what it is. its the condensor overflow from the aircon matrix in the car. all cars with aircon do it

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
Check your air con lines. They can get so cold that moisture in the air freezes on them, then melts when you stop the car. Used to happen on my Pug all the time.

Ah that could be it fella. I was thinking it might be a condensation pipe for something, didnt know if the turbo system had anything like it in and to be fair the air con has been on shed loads lately too. When i looked at the pipe it didnt have anywhere to be mated too and was facing towards the ground and didnt seem to flex upwards.

never noticed any leaking before so was a bit alarmed.

dac69er

Super Moderator
it is positioned roughly where you said. it kinda comes out and then bends to face down.

nothing to worry about mate. better its coming out there than building up and rusting away your aircon matrix ;)

Texx

Super Moderator
As suggested, it sounds like the water drain from the A/C evaporator. Condensation builds up around the outside of the evaporator the same as it would on the outside of a glass filled with a cold drink on a hot day. The water has to drain somewhere otherwise it would run into the floor of the car.

It's perfectly normal and is nothing to worry about.