Lo/Hi Boost button not working

spence

Member +
Hi guys,

Iv fitted a front mount air filter and i decided that i don't want to run high boost all the time so i put a hole with a connector (so i could still have low and high boost and would still be like it was before i fitted the air filter to the front) in the pipe work fitted to the air filter and the turbo but the button on the dash doesn't work anymore tho.

Can anyone hep me out to why it is only running low boost now?

spence

Paul_JJ

Member +
My advice is to have high boost at all times as it will safe on petrol... and more fun as well.

You need to put a picture of the whole engine bay driver side in order for us to give you a proper advise -)
Have you replaced the actuator by any chance?

Guye

Lifer
I cannot quite follow what it was you did with the air filter. Was the hi/lo button functioning properly before you made the changes? We would need pictures of the vacuum lines to the actuator and the stock boost solenoid to figure out what may have gone wrong.

spence

Member +
My advice is to have high boost at all times as it will safe on petrol... and more fun as well.

You need to put a picture of the whole engine bay driver side in order for us to give you a proper advise -)
Have you replaced the actuator by any chance?

When i had it in high boost all the time, it would judder when i put my foot on the accelerator quite hard and that is why i want to have the option for low boost aswell when im driving.

And no i haven't replaced the actuator.

The connector i made in the pipe

Last edited:

spence

Member +
I cannot quite follow what it was you did with the air filter. Was the hi/lo button functioning properly before you made the changes? We would need pictures of the vacuum lines to the actuator and the stock boost solenoid to figure out what may have gone wrong.

Yes the Hi/Lo button was working fine before i fitted the air filter to the front of the bumper

davehart

Member +
I would use the right foot as your boost controller :)

Once I took mine off high that's where its stayed for the past 7 years.

Guye

Lifer
I can understand wanting the functionality of the hi/lo button. I recently went through great pains to restore the stock hi/lo button function although I am now using the emanage ultimate and aftermarket boost control solenoid to control my boost.

spence

Member +
Where is the vacuum line from this connector going to? What is it connected to?

That connector is a brake line connector that i made myself and a piece of brake pipe into the hose (the piece with the threaded parts)

and its going to the connector at the back of the solenoid

Paul_JJ

Member +
I can understand wanting the functionality of the hi/lo button. I recently went through great pains to restore the stock hi/lo button function although I am now using the emanage ultimate and aftermarket boost control solenoid to control my boost.

My Manual says that this button was originally designed for the people who drive on the mountain roads as the altitude affect the boost and the roads are more dangerous so they actually designed it for it -) Same with LOW and 2nd gear on the Auto boxes....

Guye

Lifer
Understood. I cannot remember which one of the ports on the stock solenoid is used for the boost reference from the compressor. I do remember that the lo boost connection on the stock actuator comes directly from the compressor housing as well...high boost is achieved by the solenoid directing boost pressure to the second port on the actuator to add resistance...increasing the pressure needed to move the actuator and open the wastegate. My guess would be that the modification you have done, since it is connected to the air filter and not a boost pressure source, has now interrupted the function of the solenoid to send the additional pressure to the actuator to force it to stay closed. For you to regain hi/lo functionality you'll need to connect the vacuum line that's now attached to the air filter to either the turbo compressor housing or the piping leading to the intercooler/manifold.

Guye

Lifer
My Manual says that this button was originally designed for the people who drive on the mountain roads as the altitude affect the boost and the roads are more dangerous so they actually designed it for it -) Same with LOW and 2nd gear on the Auto boxes....

Whatever the reason why they designed it I actually prefer the option of either cruising around on 12psi or calling upon 18psi with the push of a button. I personally would not want to have to choose one or the other constantly. Having said that, I do spend most of the time at 18psi if I'm honest...but at least I have an option.

I also know that the same function is offered on aftermarket boost controllers. Personally, after using a profecb spec2 for many years I just wanted the same type of control with a stock looking cabin. Hence why I went through the trouble of making the stock hi/lo button work with the EMU and solenoid. That's just me though.

Last edited:

Paul_JJ

Member +
Why don't you try to drive with a full tank going to work and back with low button only and then a week with high button only and compare both? Cause I did and it turned out that high was better on petrol, not a lot but better and way more fun -) I didn't run 18 psi though for sure - I'm talking about a standard turbo setup.

Last edited: