LSD "grinding/notchy" type noise only when in gear.

SooperD

Member +
Evening all, Noticed it start a few months back. When in 5th and doing around 30 with throttle down enough to maintain speed i started hearing a kind of notchy noise (hard to explain in words, i can do the sound with voice no problem :p) coming from the Passenger (Nearside) front. Its gradaullay gotten worse now up to the point where its noticable even when rolling and no throttle. As soon as the clutch is engaged the noise stops so im thinking its more LSD/Driveshaft orientated rather than a wheel bearing.

Im pretty sure i have the OEM diff but not 100%. Could it be the driveshaft bearings ? What exactly is required to fix this ? New driveshaft ? Are these even gettable ?

Thanks in advance. Whatever it is is gonna have to wait until after crimbo tho.

P.S. While i have your attention i also have a metal grinding noise coming from the Drivers side front when going around roundabouts. Only really noticable if the window is down. Kinda sounds like the brake disc shield is rubbing against something. Would it be anything else ? ive not had time to even look at it as ive been working non stop and then its dark by the time im home.

Just hoping for some idea's that i can check out over the holidays :)

Thanks again.

D

SooperD

Member +
Im almost certain its a bearing or something driveshaft related... So question is now, can i get LSD driveshafts from new ? Can the bearings just be replaced ?

How difficult is it to change a driveshaft ? Id probably be better off getting a garage to do it i suppose.

Not had much experience with Driveshafts and LSDs before so any pointers would be appreciated, or if you have good driveshafts available message me :)

Cheers

mickyboy

Member +
When was the cluch last changed? sounds to me more like the thrust bearing you saying the noise stops when you put the cluch in! if it was the diff i would of thought it would make the noise all the time?

Last edited:

SooperD

Member +
Cheers for the reply micky, Tbh no idea, I was first UK owner and its not been changed since its been in this country. The bite is nice and low and it doesnt seem to slip or give me any trouble when changing gear.

Im a bit of a n00b when it comes to engines/gearboxes.. so couldnt tell you if it was maybe a thrust bearing or not..

I just wanna nail down the problem before i spend money on parts as the purse strings are tight enough without getting things that wont fix the problem :)

SooperD

Member +
Yea i was thinkin thats what it is.. Its only started since last MOT.. Will hopefully get some time this week and get underneath to have a look..

With regards to the Diff/Gearbox problem.. Can the bearings be replaced? If thats all it is ?

SooperD

Member +
Took it to a local garage and described the noise to the 2 mechanics.. Both looked at each other and said "Gearbox". Whats your opinion on this ? It may well be the gearbox and or LSD shagged :( ..

What kind of prices are gearbox's going for ? Would just replacing the whole lot be my best option ?

Going to have to hope it holds out until ive saved enough cash to get a gearbox and have it fitted.

If anyone has any other ideas as to what it might be let me know.

Cheers.