Map sensor etc question!

PSI JOE

Member +
Hey guys I'm throwing another 4e in another paseo. I got everything sorted but the map sensor, ignitor, and the coil!

I have unlimited access to Mr2 parts galore!

My question is...Can I just use all the Mr2 turbo parts and kinda just make it work? I.E. The map sensor off a 2nd gen Mr2/rev2 With a MAF...I beleave it is still a 2 bar map sensor. Or would I be able to get a jdm 3rd gen/rev3 map sensor a try. Being it's like the 4e with just MAP and No MAF.

Also I was just gonna use a mr2 coil and ignitor as well.

So do you think this will work?

If not any ideas what would work?

And if I shouldn't even bother with all that ghettoness; Were can I find a stock 4efte map sensor, coil, and ignitor?

Or even aftermarket upgrades would be fine too!

Thanks in advance I really need to know!:cool:

hardcoreep

Member +
The ignitor/coil is the same as the AE111 20v. There are several on Ebay. Any Toyota MAP sensor will work as long as its a pressure sensor.

MWP

Member +
Any Toyota MAP sensor will work as long as its a pressure sensor.

No way.
There are 1, 2 and 3 bar MAP sensor types, and possibly variations of each.
You cannot use a 1 bar sensor (used on NA engines) on a 4E-FTE (uses a 2 bar sensor).

hardcoreep

Member +
No way.
There are 1, 2 and 3 bar MAP sensor types, and possibly variations of each.
You cannot use a 1 bar sensor (used on NA engines) on a 4E-FTE (uses a 2 bar sensor).

There is no MAP sensor on a NA engine. If you LOOK CLOSELY it says VACUUM SENSOR. Boosted Toyota engines use PRESSURE SENSORS. MAP sensor is a generic term.

untitled12.jpg

Sensor for boosted engines

PSI JOE

Member +
Ok cool. So I did see the ignitor and coil on ebay for the blacktops! Now you are sure it is the same part/parts? If so that would be great cuz that would take care of that issue!

As far as the map sensor its sounds like if I just use a turbo mr2 turbo map sensor or/ pressure sensor which is a 2 bar sensor it should work just fine!

Correct?

Now do you guys think the rev3 sensor would be better or just forget it?

Oh I appriciate the help guys. I am trying to get this thing going pretty soon!

hardcoreep

Member +
You can look at the part numbers. They should be the same. They are for the EP91 4E-FTE. I'm not sure about the pre-96 engines. I had to replace mine recently.

MWP

Member +
There is no MAP sensor on a NA engine. If you LOOK CLOSELY it says VACUUM SENSOR. Boosted Toyota engines use PRESSURE SENSORS. MAP sensor is a generic term.

Erm, what do you think MAP stands for?
MAP = Manifold Absolute (or Air) Pressure
Everyone refers to them as MAP sensors... dont confuse the issue.

And yes, MAP sensors were also used on NA Toyota engines, like some of the 4AGE's.

:shoot:

hardcoreep

Member +
The parts are listed as written on them; sensor, vaccum for NA engine, and sensor, pressure for turbo/supercharged applications. I'm aware of what MAP sensor means, but that doesn't negate the fact that its a generic term and you call it such.

Sagittarius

Member +
Hardcoreep, please note that the silicon chip in a non starlet map sensor (for example a 3s-gte map sensor) will output different voltages to the ecu.
This could result in running richer or leaner than with an original map sensor.
apart from that, it should work fine.

PSI JOE

Member +
LOL thanks guys. I think I'll just use the blacktop 20v coil/ignitor and the 3sgte map sensor and see if it works! I'm gonna try the jdm 3rd gen one!

Last question though. What is the stock 4efte map sensor? Just 2 bar correct?