Misifiring and EML when boosting

jackkelly

Member +
alright lads im new to this site was looking hoe to start a thread there for the last half hour :).. anyway i need help badly.
i had myself an ep82 gi starlet 4E-FE engine and i blew the big end bearing :( silly me :(
anyway picked myself up a 4E-FTE engine, gearbox, turbo, manifold, intercooler and it's fitted now, running away grand just theres one problem with her.

she's running perfect and idling perfect but as soon as i hit boost (around 3,000RPM) the check engine light comes on and there's a serious thump what feels like a bad misfire, she basically cuts out.
i searched it up and i think it might be hitting fuel cut? i have no idea what it's boosting at but it seems to be standard, only thing that isn't standard (or seams to be) is the induction kit opens at the distributor cap, it's been shortened
the distributor cap and leads are also out of the 4E-FE could this cause the problem?..
the vacuum sensor(or at least i think that's what it's called) is also pretty weird. this only happens when the pipe is on to the vacuum on the back. when i pull the pipe off she misfires when idling and idle's a lot lower, she will slightly misfire up through the revs but boost fine in every gear. it is also over fueling when this is off and there is a strong smell of petrol, any ideas how too cure this? i was told get a new vacuum sensor from a 4efte as this is from the old 4efe engine..
help is greatly appreciated :)

dac69er

Super Moderator
its the wrong map sensor. get a 4efte one. the 4efe one wont read much, if any boost at all.

dark_knight

Member +
absolute manifold pressure sensor

@jackkelly: as dac69er says, your MAPS is triggering the ECU into fuel cut coz of wrong reading.. :)
..unless you have the FTE one installed..?

jackkelly

Member +
Sorry about the late reply lads, cheers for the help. I dont think there is a fte one installed anyway, where does the map sensor go any pictuures or diagrams ? This would help greatly.

jackkelly

Member +
yup cool thanks :).. i used my buddys one from his 95 gt and it started misfiring like a mad thing and the revs would bearly climb.. waited for around 5 minutes to warm up and it was perfect, kinda weird but it was a a lot faster and that after it warmed up with no missing.. :).. guna try get one now from a turbo just need to find out where and get some cash :)