Mitsubishi Evo 3's info/advice etc

cantbassed

Member +
well, it didnt take me long to get bored of the volvo, so im looking at these! iv got insurance quotes for a very reasonable price. the evo's im looking at has about 80k on the clock, recent import. not overly too much information.

im really interested, so help would be great! i know there is the lancer forum, but i like the knowledge of people from here.

Check out Evo321 mate lots of info on there, bare in mind though that the 3 runs slightly higher compression than the 1 and 2 so doesnt take as much boost. But otherwise great car apart from crankwalk which you can check for before you purchase.

cantbassed

Member +
Check out Evo321 mate lots of info on there, bare in mind though that the 3 runs slightly higher compression than the 1 and 2 so doesnt take as much boost. But otherwise great car apart from crankwalk which you can check for before you purchase.

cheers mate! what is the crankwalk, where would i find it? sorry for being not so knowledgeable.

i prefere the looks of the evo3 to be honest.

rickie

Member +
The evo III has 270 bhp and only 228 lb-ft of torque as standard compared to the evo 4 with 280 bhp and 260 lb-ft of torque as standard. The evo IV has a twin scroll turbo also and active yaw control. Maybe an evo IV is the one to go for?

cantbassed

Member +
i know the 4 is a little more powerful, but the price to buy a 4 to a 3 is a fair chunk. iv found a evo 3 for 2.5k and insurance is only £760 for me, as for the evo 4 is alot more! thats one of my reasons for going for a 3.

Crankwalk is when the thrust bearing on the crank wear prematurely due to poor lubrication resulting in the crank moving back and fourth ie. end to end within the block.
The early evos 1-3 are alot lighter and more raw to drive than the 4- like 82 starlets are compared to 91.
AYC is just another thing to go wrong in my opinion and is not a reason to go for a 4.
Go with a 3 if its what you want however earlyer ones can be made to look like the 3 easily enough as replica kits are readily avaliable.

cantbassed

Member +
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MITSUBISHI-EV...ms=65:7|66:2|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:2|294:50

cheers mate! the above is what im looking at. anyone local to him who could view the car for me? he has offered to drive it down for me, which either makes me feel he wants to get rid quick, or is showing the car is a genuine runner?

the other thing which iv noticed, he has a good feeback from ebay which is cool, but he breaks cars. which leads to a little bit more doubt. what would you's say about this?

looks ok, check with him whether its had all the fluids changed ie. gearbox, diff, transfer and go have a drive, its very hard to gauge how well a cars been looked after from the pics.

cantbassed

Member +
well iv been in alot of contact with him, asking why his advert is not very detailed etc. it has standard suspension. iv asked if it has any leaks, knocking, smoke etc etc, its been serviced by him and the cambelt was done not so long ago while in japan and has a sticker on the cover which shows the mileage it was done. sounds cool, but i dont want to rush into this!

MikeGlanzaV

Trader
Ive had an Evo 4 mate and it suffered crankwalk within 6 months of ownership. The 1-4 are prone to this. i think its to do with the way the engine poorly distributes the oil around the bottom end. This was resolved by the addition of extra oil feeds on the later cars. Other than listening for knocking Im not sure you can check for this when looking at the car but I can say that after also suffering the rear diff (AYC) also failing too your better off avoiding a 4 IMO. I would be too wary of crankwalk to go for another evo 1-4 as it cost me an engine from an Evo 5 at about 1.5K but if push came to shove I'd go for the 3.

dantheman

Member +
i had 2 evo 3's, the first threw a rod in the first week of owning it lol the second did the gearbox.

good cars but they are old and most have been ragged as its the nature of the car, people dont buy evo's and not drive them like rally cars :homer: most dont anyway..

crankwalk is an issue as said.

if it were me id save and get a 5. the 4 are crap, they are the crappest looking and they suffer from crankwalk too, and the performance in stock form is pretty much the same as a 1/2/3 as theyre lighter and im sure the gear ratio is closer on early evo's

JGT

Member +
I've had a 3 aswell, whilst it was running it was great! Extremely quick and looked awesome! If you buy one you will bumming it every night, but it will break your heart :p

GTwayne

Member +
Also had a Evo 3 never had any problems with it great car, your only be able to push a max of 1.2 bar and to be safe 1.1 due to cr.
If you go for a Evo 4 get a later one, the early ones sufferd from problems due to the change in engine layout.
IMHO i'd get a 5 best looking of the lot.:)

GTti

Member +
In my opinion the Volvo is a much better and much more reliable (and faster) car. I'd keep it over that Evo.