mph to kph convertion

candy_red

Member +
Imperial or Metric Readings

Good evening to everybody.

I got a bit of a general question here.

I got a yaris and i m wanting to change the speedometer. I ve got hold of one in Coventry which goes relatively cheap and can easily have it shipped here to Greece.

My question is.....Obviously the speedometer counts in mph. It also shows kph so no problem there regarding speed.

Whats up with the distance on the odo? I mean when i travel 10 km will it show that i did 10 km or 6 miles?

Its the same thing you guys have to dea with when importing from Japan.

You place a converter but does it also affect the odo or just the speed shown by the dial?

Need your help!

Thanx

Last edited:

dark_knight

Member +
metric or imperial readings

@ candy_red: if the speedo reads in mph primarily then the ODO reading and trip counter will also read in mph. you will know whether mph is the primary unit of measurement by the fact that it will be on the outer edge of the speedo.. you understand..?

candy_red

Member +
Yeah mate i get that! Thanx

So if i get that speedometer it will just read miles...do i get that straight?

Doesnt the reading depend on the sensor on the gearbox though?

dark_knight

Member +
agenda

it depends on what you are after mate. & yes, you are correct, the speedo will get it's primary readings from the gearbox. depending on what that primary reading is (from the trannie), that's what the speedo will output and log on the ODO and trip counters. here's a good example, i modded my dashboard to read in mph but since i don't have a kmph-mph converter installed on my trannie, my ODO and trip counters still read in km. really hope it makes sense and that you can relate it to your situation.. :)

dark_knight

Member +
sorted

no problem candy_red. glad to be of assistance. you can always spread some love.. repp love :p hehehe
so.. how do you like my dash..? :)