My Gearbox Is Wreaked Over Bad Oil

triple j

Member +
Ok i drained the oil there and it came out very light and didnt look rite had some shaving in it too, i got this oil from a shop it has a garage below it, i wanted 2.5 litre l of 75/90 so the man headed down to the garage and took a 5l drum of 75/90 with a little in it then he went back up to the shop and opened a fresh one up and toped up the one he got down in the garage with it to 2.5l, ok i think that the one in the garage he lifted had something else in that maby one of the workers drained in to, i just done my clutch and my gearbox was perfect now it makes a grinding kinda noise you can hear a lot when u let off the throttle, what do i do, i have a bit of the oil that came out and a little in the can and it smells like something else. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBEdfQengH8&context=C3647d25ADOEgsToPDskLd-leOwrrWc0jDOmN3XOxk

Last edited:

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
First,please start posting in the right section.

Second,
Unless there was a lump of metal in the drum (and it managed to get into the g/box without you seeing it) its highly unlikely the wrong gear oil caused it.

Did you check to make sure the outer and inner CV joints are fully in and secure?
Make sure nothing around the wheel is catching as its rotating?
Fit the clutch the right way around?
Fit the release bearing correctly?

And gear oil,to be blunt,smells like cats piss after a while,its rotten.

Bring it to a mechanic and have him look it over,if the oil was at fault and your looking for compo you'll need to have one look at it anyway.

Dan

triple j

Member +
Lads i dont no what to do i had the car on a lift there with it in gear and there is a slight knock grind like noise coming from the gearbox area, the oil is lighter than engine oil

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
Lads i dont no what to do i had the car on a lift there with it in gear and there is a slight knock grind like noise coming from the gearbox area, the oil is lighter than engine oil

Shouldn't be lighter than engine oil.

And it sounds like you've a loose CV joint,either on the spline side or the boot side

triple j

Member +
the oil is not rite man had 2 other lads looking at it, i left the cv joints in the gearbox i just split the ends from gear box when doing clutch,could the make that noise the noise is there but when your on the road and give it little throttle it goes away,

Texx

Super Moderator
More likely to be a clutch problem then, your going to have to pull the box back off to find out. I'd be checking the springs in the friction disc.

triple j

Member +
ok so, i will get the box off again, i hope i can get it sorted, i just passed my full driving test today and am 25 next week i want to get the car on the road with no problems.

ChrisStarletGT

Member +
Aye lol,its a pain in the whole when you roll in it by accident,nothing you can do but throw the clothes out

yea worst thing ever i got diff oil on my overalls in college carrying a diff of a ford sierra donor car for the kit car we was building it stunk covered myself in linx chocolate deoderant now everytime i smell linx chocolate it makes me gagg coz it reminds me of gear oil lol

aidan

Member +
holy shiv thats bad weather oil caused that is another thing did that noise start the second ya started d car after puttin it back together

triple j

Member +
when i put the car back together there was no noise i only started to here it the next day, when u give her throttle the noise goes, what the fuck is it lads.

AdamB

Member +
Is your clutch pedal ok? Like when you put your foot on the clutch does it spring back off when you release your foot? Just thinking that the release bearing my have been popped off.