NAW_7S Wideband review/guide

Texx

Super Moderator
Original Article Credit: jabran200

I have been saying I'd do a review/guide for ages to show how easy it is to setup and get going with the newer wideband kits available from www.14point7.com.

The reason I got into using his products in the early stages was because I needed a budget wideband with display and datalogging and his kit back then came in at under £80 which is bargain but a lot of work for them.

I recently bought this one.

NAW_7S

It comes fully assembled and the only bit you need to actually solder is the display and wire the sensor to the controller.

Controller
IMG_0215.jpg

What needs to be done once you get the box?

1. Assemble Display
2. Pin the lambda female plug
3. Wire Lambda into the NAW_7S
4. House Display in something/somewhere.

I needed to setup a car with an adjustable FPR so this one needed to be able to plug into the cig lighter so you may want to obtain one from somewhere, I just cut an old charger up for it.

Soldering the display is pretty simple it's literally just the resistors, the 14 pin plug and the LED. very simple to solder to be honest and takes about 3 minutes to do. look online for soldering guides.

DSC00536.jpg

Pin the Lambda plug using the guide that is available to download from http://www.14point7.com. Pretty simple really and takes about 10 minutes to do.

USER MANUAL

In the manual you will also find the pinout guide and which pin to join to the controller using the screw terminals.

It requires you to give a 2 ign switched lives and earths (One is for the controller and the other for the lsu 4.2) I wired the lives together and the earths together as I was using the cig lighter and not using it with an ecu for datalogging .

The user manual recommends a certain way to wire the power if using the linear outputs becasue of volatage offset so you should look into doing it properly if you will be having it permanently installed.

The way I wired worked fine for me though.

As I was in a rush I did not house the display so nothing for this part yet but I am planning to fit it into a 52/60mm gauge as I have one spare but maplins do some rectangular cases as well.

I set the fuel pressure and took it for a run and it worked first time no issues and gave a very stable reading. I have used his units in the past and tested againsted calibrated newly calibrated M.O.T testers and it was spot on, this one is even better than the old ones.

This is what my setup looks like for now, will house the disply and update.

DSC00526.jpg

DSC00527.jpg

DSC00535.jpg

Plenty of length between the display and controller

DSC00537.jpg

I haven't used the S/W but it looks good and allows you to adjusted the Narrowband signal as well as the Wideband linear output to anything you want so is compatible with pretty much any ecu/device.

I am using the JAW 1.03 with an F-CON and if it had't been an adjustable output I would have had to buy a very expensive wideband kit.

I know it can look a bit daunting but there really isn't that much to it and the creator provides plenty of support as well as taking suggestions and if needed modifies the software to suit.

My kit worked to about £115 as I got hit by customs :( . You won't really find a wideband controller that does this much in this price range, It uses a cheap wideband sensor (LSU 4.2) and comes on VW polo's 2002 and I have previously bought a few off ebay for £30.

I thought I'd share that for people who want something cheap and cheerful with a bit of D.I.Y