Need help!!! car battery use not to be charging

Garci

Member +
Hi guys am from canada i have an EP82 & its taking the piss outta me.its fairy stock except for the recent addition of a straight through 2.5" stainless steel exhaust other mods just k&n air filter, turbo timer, volt stabilizer,quad lights conversion & some handling mods thts it.
Now to my problem: monday i was coming home class goin around the corner on the hwy onramp when the car starts bogging sound like it was goin to shut off, so i floor the pedal it sounds like it was back-firing, i was like shit wot now? it drove fine for the next 45km then i got off the hwy and come to a stop light; light goes Green, car is dead in middle of the road. try to crank it; nothing;lights in dash dim really dim put 4ways on don't flash. when i turn key to ON; 2 lights come up on dash 1 is shape of a Batt & the other is to the right side of Batt icon & shapes like an engine over-heating. Temp guage was fine & oil level fire. i had my wife bring me a start booster, hook it up starts fine, then drove 3km had to brake behind a truck & shuts off again. drag car home bought a new Battery charge it drove it 1days works fine then ,2day, wouldnt start had tp push start.3rd day car goes dead again 2km from my home, only a lot more bogging, and last 2mins be4 goes dead driving like running out of gas lots of puttering and shit "freaks me out big time"
father in law help me drag it home.

havnt tried starting its again since am thinkins maybe it might be alternator am not sure. am thinking of putting up on the hoist 2nite and take off the alternator but i wanna know if any1 else had similar probs and how to fit. or any ideas of stuff i could check on? if say a bad alternator could 1 from a tercel fit or is tht a no no? any info welcome. miss my car .Thank you
garci

scot-ish

Member +
bad earth is my educated guess

whats the voltage accross the battery with the car not running?? should read around 13.5v, and then once you get it started,measure the voltage across, should read 14-14.3 if the alternator is charging, but seems to me like a poor earth connection

Garci

Member +
Try starting again no luck dead then Charge battery lastnight and starts fine this morning again drove ok too no lights on dash,but know gonna embarrass me on side of road way in 2days again.

1.Battery rule out, its NEW.
2.Earth good is good i have added some better ground when first got the car also test
3.charging wire with a test light its works.
4.Belt seem to have good tension on it too.
5.Scot-ish: With the car not running its showing 12.5V , when i start the car its drops to 12V. when i turn on AC headlights,radio,etc drops to 11.3V ish. so yeh thinking stupid alternator brushes a goner.

scot-ish

Member +
does sound alternator then, check belt is tight etc before purchasing a new one, as that would be quite embarrassing aswell lol

bad luck lol

GTnomez

Member +
While the car is idling, remove the positive and negative terminal. If it struggles to idle or turns off, that would point to your alternator

Mike D EP82

Member +
what is the voltage when you are cranking?. but like you said if the voltage is dropping to 11.3v with loads on then its defective. it should be charging at 12-14.5 volts = alternator fooooked. check the connections 1st though

Texx

Super Moderator
Check the alternator connector at the battery positive terminal isn't damaged or corroded and has a good connection. Then connect a jump lead from the alternator casing to the battery negative terminal and check the charging voltage again with the engine running at around 2000rpm. If you get a reading somewhere between 13.9v-15.1v then the alternator has a poor ground somewhere so recheck the engine earth cables. If your reading is still below 13.9v then the chances are the regulator on the back of the alternator has developed a fault. Without an amps clamp you won't know the condition of the alternator for sure, but it's likely it will need to be repaired or replaced.

munday

Member +
While the car is idling, remove the positive and negative terminal. If it struggles to idle or turns off, that would point to your alternator

You should never do this, just like you should never just disconnect a lead and crank the engine over. Can damage many electrical components

Garci

Member +
so start car yesterday and retest voltage and goes up to 14.5V and drop to 11.3V keeps doing often like every couple mins. so i take the alternator off the car call up Toyota giv em the number on it they said they could get it for me but would take 2 weeks for $350 Cad ,so my father-in-law took it to his friend and guy tested it; it only charging somtimes (think he said something like by 20 or 30amps) not sure but he said he will fully rebuilt it more me for $120 so i should get it 10am today.

Garci

Member +
got back alternator earlier, it looked brand spanking new,said it needed brushes and rings and something else, he said he replaced em.anywys installed it and seems to be working good now with car off battery is 12.8V and car running with load 14V. will keep eye on voltage next couple days.

Just want to say Thanks everyone for all your input,it helps me out big time.
Toyotagtturbo.com Rocks!!!