New Battery Ah

Chris_14a

Member +
I need a new battery for my glanza but was just wondering what amp people use. The one that's on it at the minute is 45ah but I think that mite be abut small for everyday use. Cheers Chris

Texx

Super Moderator
Ah is the discharge rate, when using the car everyday a high Ah battery rating isn't necessary. 45Ah is probably the highest Ah rating you'll get for a stock size battery.

Texx

Super Moderator
A battery has a cold cranking rating and a capacity or discharge rating, they mean different things. You could have one battery with a CCR of 330 amps and capacity of 40Ah and another battery with a CCr of 330 amps and a capacity of 45Ah, both batteries would provide the same cold cranking performance when fully charged. The Ah rating gives an indication of how long it would take for the battery to discharge, the 40Ah battery would take a 40amp draw for 1 hour before it was discharged, the 45Ah would take a 45amp draw for 1 hour before it was discharged. So if you pulled 1 amp from each battery the 40Ah would theoretically discharge before the 45Ah.

Unless you leave the car parked up for days on end (possibly with an alarm system drawing power from the battery) or often use electrical systems in the car without the engine running (some might park up with their stereo blaring???), there's no need to have a battery with a higher capacity than 45Ah.