New exhaust = more boost ? = safe ?

Topher-EP82

Member +
hi guys,

a few things before i say whats going on ..

Hks actuator set at 0.8 bar and a HKS superdragger system from Decat backwards. This boosted at a consistent 0.8 bar and gave 171.5 Hp Dyno with the JAM racing ecu...

i enjoyed owning the HKS exhaust but the baffles came out of the back and it rotted through.

SO, i got a nice japspeed system for a great price of a member on here.

When i compared the exhausts side by side, it was clear the japspeed had a larger bore. made especially obvious from the step up pipe running from the Decat flange..

Took the car out for a drive and allready i notice the engine is much smoother.

Let it warm up fine and then gave it flooring :D

After quite a while ( so i know it wasn't a temporary thing ) I noticed once i hit about 4000Rpm my boost is creeping up to 1.0 bar.. and then droping to 0.9 bar as i get to near 7000Rpm so only slightly dropping off..

the car feels quicker - ( not a butt dyno because of the new noise i know this because i ran the HKS system with only the midpipe for the last week or so, so the japspeed is quieter lol )

It is pulling stronger and then engine is running smoother..

Now because it has a JAM ECU i have always been under the impression it has run rich ( after finding info on this forum ) and so under hard acceleration there would occasionally be a bit of smoke out the back - been told it is unburnt fuel ..

from what i saw earlier this smoke has now cleared - is this due to me now running nearly a Bar and the ECU is compensating with fuel and the mixture is fine now.. hence no smoke and it running smoother.

Sorry for all the info but i thought it wold clear up any future questions as people always ask for more info - SO you got it lol.

My question - i know i am now experiencing Boost creep BUT i have been wanting to turn the Actuator up to 1.0 bar for a while and with this exhaust it seems to have got there... AM i safe running this boost ?? i say this due to it having a JAM ECU which i have been led to believe will fuel up to a 1 Bar - is this correct. I have to say i am enjoying the extra power :)

also the turbo makes a slightly different noise now. it lets out a faint wine at higher Rpm.. is this normal i ask as i wouldn't know i have never run a CT9 at a bar before.

any gurus that can share info it would be so much appreciated :)

thanks in advance.

AdamB

Member +
The ecu will be fine to run 1 bar, BUT get it checked on a wideband and det cans, NEVER assume it's okay as it might not be, and could cost you an engine.