New laws regarding license plates & mots

mossy

Member +
The number’s up on illegal registration plates! New rules introduced at the beginning of the month aim to crack down on dodgy styles and fonts. And unless your car now carries special identifying marks, it won’t pass the annual MoT test.

Plates fitted to models registered after 1 September 2001 that aren’t embossed with the name and postcode of the supplier and BS AU145d British Standard symbol will result in an automatic failure. The move is des*igned to make it easy for testers to spot non-road-legal ‘show plates’, as these don’t have a BS symbol.

Vehicles made before 1 September 2001 don’t need the codes, although they may still fail if the examiner believes the reg uses letters and numbers with an incorrect size, font and spacing. And while plates which show an international marking to the left – such as GB or the Welsh Dragon – are fine, those with football team crests or cartoon characters will also fail.

The Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) has drawn up these regulations to cut vehicle crime and make it easier for testers to identify a problem plate. A spokesman told us: “For accurate eyewitness accounts and to ensure enforcement cameras work, it is necessary that the registration conforms to the required standard.”

The table shows what is and isn’t acceptable in the guidelines – a version of which is on the w*w.vosa.gov.uk website.

This latest development comes hot on the heels of new fraud legislation. The police can now prosecute drivers who deliberately alter their registration number in order to evade devices such as speed cameras. If found guilty, these motorists could face fines running into thousands of pounds and even a spell in prison.

A spokesman for the Association of Chief Police Officers was keen to stress that these powers will not be directed at those who change plates for style reasons, although such drivers could be penalised under less harsh construction and use regulations.

Neal

Member +
Have to be honest i dont really give a shit what it says on my number plate or what symbols are on it lol.

Monkfish

Member +
I'm all for rules that mean people with stupid fonts or rediculously small plates get done, but cartoon characters instead of an EU flag? Fuck me, talk about taking it to the extreme.

goldenvtr

Member +
I'm all for rules that mean people with stupid fonts or rediculously small plates get done, but cartoon characters instead of an EU flag? Fuck me, talk about taking it to the extreme.

Would we be alour to have a Japanese Flag?
Dont really bother me as long as i can have the small boarder i think it breaks up the plate nicly

henners

Member +
What a load of shit. This country/goverment is just getting worse and fucking worse every bastard day make me's want to just get up and leave and fuck every of.
I mean come on its a number plate its not as if we all driving around with no insurance or tax etc

Si_Glanza

Member +
I hate silly Fonts on Number Plates, Although both my Glanza and now my paseo have smaller number plates ive gone a little bigger on the paseo as i got £120 worth of fines on the Glanza! Its Only Ever Traffic Cars that do me for my Plate and they have only ever pulled me once because of it other times they had other reason to pull me up. and for MOT just stick your normal size plate on.