new xbox just arrived

glanzanut

Lifer
my new xbox just arrived yipee so ill be online soon "watch out" lol. quick question my modem doesnt have a conection for the net cable bt it plugs into the back of the pc i assume this will work ok?:freddy:

stuart

Member +
You can use an ethernet cable for xbox live, if you're going wireless you will need to buy the microsoft adapter thing that you plug in! :)

glanzanut

Lifer
yeah its an ethernet cable i got with it but its not a wireless modem so the only place i could find to plug it into was the back of the pc i assume thats what the port on the pc is for and will give me a connection?:freddy:

stuart

Member +
Aye, from the router to your xbox, will work (cable) :)

Arh Just read it again, no you can't plug the xbox into the PC, I doubt it will pick up a connect, you'll have to go directly from your router to your Xbox

glanzanut

Lifer
grrrrrrr honestly!!!! what will the ethernet port on the pc be for then? so ill need a new router fuck!!! lol:freddy:

stuart

Member +
How many ports has your router got? You can pick up a cheap 4 port hub off ebay for £7 or so, then run 1 cable from your router into that, then xbox and PC into the hub :)

glanzanut

Lifer
it just has the port for the connection into the modem then a usb cable out of it into the pc. aha ill just check ebay:freddy:

peen

Lifer
Sounds like you have a USB ADSL modem.

You can connect the Ethernet from the Xbox 360 to the Ethernet on your PC.

You will need to use Internet Connection Sharing and the PC will need to be on when you want to use Xbox Live.

More info here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/connectionmethods/windowsics.htm

It would probably be better if you had a router that you could connect to as this is a dedicated device as opposed to a PC but it will work. :)

Routers are so cheap nowadays though, may be easier to just get a wireless router.

stuart

Member +
Gotta pay Bill Gates bout £60 for the xbox wireless adaptor, easier to get a little 4 port hub!

I thought you could do it peen but wasn't sure how! cheers!

glanzanut

Lifer
Sounds like you have a USB ADSL modem.

You can connect the Ethernet from the Xbox 360 to the Ethernet on your PC.

You will need to use Internet Connection Sharing and the PC will need to be on when you want to use Xbox Live.

More info here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/connectionmethods/windowsics.htm

It would probably be better if you had a router that you could connect to as this is a dedicated device as opposed to a PC but it will work. :)

Routers are so cheap nowadays though, may be easier to just get a wireless router.

yeah thats what it is
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...=/images?q=bt+speedtouch+modem+330&um=1&hl=en
so it will work through the pc till i get a new router gd stuff. rep added matey!
:freddy:

peen

Lifer
Ahh yes, true Stu! I forgot about the crazy cost of the dongle! :shoot:

Instead of the dongle, you can get a wireless bridge which is basically a wireless router with an Ethernet port, so your Xbox would connect to the bridge via Ethernet, which then connects wirelessly to your wireless router.

So instead of an Xbox specific dongle, you are using a generic Ethernet wireless bridge. If that makes sense, probably complicating things but thought I'd add that. ;)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/networking/review/2003/12/10/Netgear-ME101-Wireless-Bridge/p1 - that's the kinda thing I mean. They're cheaper nowadays.

Nice one glanzanut, at least it will tide you over. :)

glanzanut

Lifer
just another quick question i looked at that link but how do u access the ics settings on ur pc to add the xbox? its vista:freddy:

stedee

Member +
just phoned tiscali they are sending me a wireless router free of charge all gd hehe :freddy:

still use the cable though with your xbox - you should have ethernet connections on the router, wireless is ok for pcs but not as good for gaming