Not a nice rattle....

Rik

Member +
Come across a problem...my car has started making a rattling noise when running and gets louder when you rev it etc. I thought it was my alternator coming loose but its tight as can be.

It started happening a couple of days ago but was fine before that. Does anyone know what it could be? I've read some posts on here saying it could be gaskets on my mani or worse, coming from the engine. I recently fitted a manifold but this was like a week before the noise started.

Has anyone any input on the situation? I don't fancy taking the mani off till my turbo arrives which will probably be in 2-3 weeks but if i really have to to check it then i will. Is there anything i can do to track where its coming from??

fur

Member +
hmm
have you considered the possiblity of big end bearings?
a leaky exhaust manifold won't make so much of a rattly noise as a fizzing noise
and if it gets louder with revs it may very well be engine knock coming from contact between the crank and the big end shells. did you run low on oil?

Rik

Member +
It stays the same with revs just vibrates like a mofo. I always keep my oil topped up but its leaking abit atm, but its always been full. I once started it and forgot to have put the oil line from the turbo back in so it shot a fair bit of oil out but i shut it off as soon i started it practically. It was fine after I re-did the oil, that was at least 2 weeks ago, would it take that long for it to start rattling?

weakboy2

Member +
you wouldnt probs notice the big end bearings rattling until the engine was hot, unless its fooked!!

Sounds like exhaust mani or turbo gasket

Rik

Member +
I'm gonna get it up on the ramp when I can as im pretty sure its coming from the alternator, it seems to vibrate a lot so something on that has to be causing it. If not, back to square one :| Could possibly be the mani as i need some new gaskets for it but i cant imagine it making the sound it does...will update when i've had a gander!

dantheman

Member +
big ends knocking is a pretty obvious noise, does not sound nice at all..

try getting a length of hose (fuel hose is ideal) and put it to your ear and just scan around the bay until you pin point where its coming from.. old skool method i know but makes it alot easier to trace where its coming from.

Mike D EP82

Member +
check the timing belt for tension. belt slapping noise sounds worse than it is. happened to me. which im glad i planned to change the belt. have you thought about a collapsed water pump bearing?

Rik

Member +
If it was the big end knocking, how long would it take to do major damage? Like i said, its made the noise a couple of days and its done a few miles since then, performance feels the same but been more wary. Would it have an impact on how the car runs? I'll try the method you mentioned above Dan if I find out its not coming from the alternator.

Rik

Member +
check the timing belt for tension. belt slapping noise sounds worse than it is. happened to me. which im glad i planned to change the belt. have you thought about a collapsed water pump bearing?

Not checked the water pump no, would that cause it to make a rattling/vibrating noise? The belt hasn't been on that long and its a power enterprise kevlar belt but I will check it for slackness if everything else turns up nothing!

fur

Member +
vibration could be the driver side engine mount fooked, also if it is the big ends it may not affect performance that much in the initial stages, however it will get worse and the crank will have to be reground and undersized bearings used

Mike D EP82

Member +
when the bearings do give way if you are driving the front wheels will lock and you will probably shit yourself lol can happan anytime but. yeah there could be vibrartion from the pump. what to do is get under the car and put your ear to the sump and you will know if its the bottom end

Rik

Member +
Sounds wack if that happens! lol best get it on ramps asap then to check. It won't be the engine mount as its a TRD mount thats not been on long. Just praying its nothing major and just something vibrating and hitting the car :(

Monkfish

Member +
If big ends are knocking, they're fucked already. Tolerances on engines are stupidly small, if you don't fix it now it will eat itself.

Top tip: The best way to source a knock or rattle on the engine is with a screwdriver or long-ish rod. Place the one end on the suspect part, and put your ear on the other. Try it with the rocker cover and an injector, you can hear the difference, and it helps to identify the source as it will be louder.

Note: Take extreme care whilst doing this! There are a lot of things that will fuck you up if you get too close. Watch where your face goes, where you are waving the screwdriver/rod, and make sure you haven't got any loose clothing or jewellery that can catch anything, especially the aux belts.

Big_Daddy

Member +
when the bearings do give way if you are driving the front wheels will lock and you will probably shit yourself lol can happan anytime but. yeah there could be vibrartion from the pump. what to do is get under the car and put your ear to the sump and you will know if its the bottom end

Asuming that could cause an accident.

dantheman

Member +
was just about to say the same thing :), if you suspect the alternator is making the noise use the method monkfish said below ie put a long screwdriver on the alternator and to your ear, you will hear/feel the noise if its that bad.

If big ends are knocking, they're fucked already. Tolerances on engines are stupidly small, if you don't fix it now it will eat itself.

Top tip: The best way to source a knock or rattle on the engine is with a screwdriver or long-ish rod. Place the one end on the suspect part, and put your ear on the other. Try it with the rocker cover and an injector, you can hear the difference, and it helps to identify the source as it will be louder.

Note: Take extreme care whilst doing this! There are a lot of things that will fuck you up if you get too close. Watch where your face goes, where you are waving the screwdriver/rod, and make sure you haven't got any loose clothing or jewellery that can catch anything, especially the aux belts.

Rik

Member +
I did the screw driver method and its defo coming from around the alternator, could feel it really vibrating. I think the bearings have gone in it or something. Does anyone know which bearings they are for the ones on the 82 if it is those that have gone and not just something loose? Couldn't feel or hear anything when had it against the bottom end and rocker so hopefully thats fine!

Texx

Super Moderator
The belt hasn't been on that long and its a power enterprise kevlar belt but I will check it for slackness if everything else turns up nothing!

How long ago was the belt fitted?

It would be worth checking the crank pulley bolt hasn't come loose letting the pulley float around a bit.

Rik

Member +
We did it a few thousand miles ago now and torqued it up a fair bit! I suppose thats another thing to check if its not the alt.