number plates

twaiter

Member +
Hi guys, ive been advised my front plate is illegal, is their anywhere i can get a small legal front plate ?
Mine has a TRD logo on the side and also im told the letters are too small? (not by police)

Reg.jpg

George611

Member +
looks alright to me lol if it was really small like how the subaru boys have em id say change it but i wouldnt worry bout that tbh

dac69er

Super Moderator
It is illegal. I would either get one a similar size without any logos on it and you might be ok. Best bet is to get an american sized plate as they are the smallest square plates you can leagally fit on an imported car!

twaiter

Member +
Can any one give me a size of plate which is smaller than standard but legal? im struggling to find a legal one..
Many thanks!!

twaiter

Member +
I'm just trying to find a plate that is legal but about the same size as mine which is 350mm long and 90mm high I think. But mind has a trd sign on the side, dunno if that's legal or not..

dac69er

Super Moderator
I'm just trying to find a plate that is legal but about the same size as mine which is 350mm long and 90mm high I think. But mind has a trd sign on the side, dunno if that's legal or not..

smallest legal plate you can fit is an american sized square plate. its 6"x12" i think. you cant have any fancy lettering, borders or symbols signs etc. only the manufacturer of the plate/dealer you got the car from etc.

superspat

Member +
had the same problem with the police so emailed DVLA about sizes for import number plates, the reply was as follows

Dear Chris

Thank you for your email received on 23/2/12. Your email reference number is 858137.

The Road Vehicles ( Display of Registration Marks) (Amendment) regulations 2002 SI no. 2687 came into force in November 2002.

These amendment regulations introduce a new regulation 14A, making special provision in relation to the size and spacing of characters in the registration number of some imported vehicles. These regulations also include the display of motorcycle sizes for number plates on imported vehicles. The provision only applies to vehicles imported into the UK which do not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval, and are so constructed, that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display on the plate of a registration number in conformity with the requirements of regulation 14.

Also contained is an amendment to regulation 3, to prohibit the use of a number plate on which the background is patterned or textured, or gives that appearance.

Where a vehicle has been allocated a UK registration number, the number plate must comply with the specification and standards laid out in the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001, as amended. Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display numberplates with smaller characters if the vehicle does not have European Community Vehicle Type Approval and the vehicle's construction/design cannot accommodate standard size numberplates.

The dimensions for the smaller sized plate are:

• each character in the registration number must be 64mm high
the width of each character of the number, other than the letter 'I' and the figure '1' must be 44mm

• the width of every part of the stroke forming a character in a number must be 10mm
the spacing between any two characters within a group must be 10mm

• the vertical spacing between groups of characters must be 5mm

• the width of a margin between the number and the top and lateral sides of the numberplate must be not less than 5mm

• the space between the bottom of the number/character and the bottom of the plate must not be less than 13mm, but within that space, the space between the bottom of the number and the top of the name and postcode of the person the plate was supplied must not be less than 5mm.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla/cegemail/directgov/en/reply_form_vehicles.html

When filling in the form the email reference number 858137 will be required.

Regards

G Parslow

Customer Enquiries Group

DVLA

got my plate from
http://www.craigsplates.com/import-number-plates
been pulled since and showed them the email and that the plate has the little numbers needed to make it legit, they soon turned the attetion to trying to find faults with the car and didnt mention the number plate again