O/S gearbox side spline count......

Tony Harrison

Member +
Hello,

Hope this can be cleared up quick, is it just the hub side of the driveshaft that can have either spline count, or is it the gearbox side?

I ask only because im about to pay for an o/s shaft AND hub, and well my thoughts were "if i get the hub too, then it'll not matter whats the splin count is because they are a pair, but what if its the gearbox side that has the two spline count options?" thought that, I did.

So can this be cleared up thanks?

Cheers Ty.

Texx

Super Moderator
The spline difference is with the actual shaft, not the CV joints. When assembled you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between both versions of driveshaft, however if you removed the CV joints it wouldn't be possible to swap them from one shaft to the other as the splines differ.

Tony Harrison

Member +
So if i was just to whip out the driverside shaft with hub, and replace it with another shaft and hub I should be ok?

All this cos my hub would NOT seperate an iota to change a cv boot! Tis unreal, missed track time at Donny today because of this.

Texx

Super Moderator
Yes, all the shafts are interchangeable. Though, obviously ABS equipped cars would need a shaft with an ABS ring on the outer CV joint.

dark_knight

Member +
is there a reason why some setups have the 23/30 spline count while others are 30/30..? would there be a reason to have the transmission-side shaft having a different spline count in comparison to the engine-side drive shaft..? anyone..?