OBD connector

affy

Lifer
hi,

can anyone plz tell me where the OBD or non-OBD connector is located, trying to connect my greddy intelligent informeter,

according to my knowledge there are onyl two types available on every car either OBD or non OBD,

had a look today but cant seem to locate it or the connectors on my unit dont fit

any help much appreciated :)

thanks

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
hi,

can anyone plz tell me where the OBD or non-OBD connector is located, trying to connect my greddy intelligent informeter,

according to my knowledge there are onyl two types available on every car either OBD or non OBD,

had a look today but cant seem to locate it or the connectors on my unit dont fit

any help much appreciated :)

thanks
Hey There

It is under the bonnet located next to the standard airbox mate, there will be alittle flap which opens then the connector plugs in there, i believe its a OBD connector.

Cheers

affy

Lifer
ahhhh crap!! that means i cant fit my unit,

the connector provided with the unit is much bigger and the second place for it is under the steering wheels, was hoping its under there somewhere,

thanks for that bud, bad news for the unit then, waited a month from nengun for it

Nick@TD.co.uk

ahhhh crap!! that means i cant fit my unit,

the connector provided with the unit is much bigger and the second place for it is under the steering wheels, was hoping its under there somewhere,

thanks for that bud, bad news for the unit then, waited a month from nengun for it
The modern toyota's locate the diagnostic port under the steering collum mate, ours (due to it being old skool) is located under the bonnet as said.

Not had much to do with the greddy unit though.

~Nick

affy

Lifer
jones you think theses connectors will fit anywhere on the car?

my wires are a mess under the steering colom so cant see much,

the las pic shows the wires that came with the unit, theyare either obd connector or non obd connector, cant figure out what the ep82's are lol

can anyone tell me if these will fit somewhere?

cameraphotos182.jpg

cameraphotos181.jpg

cameraphotos180.jpg

Nick@TD.co.uk

second picture is 100% OBD 2 connection as thats what the latest toyota's use mate, the first one is your closest shot but the only connector on the EP82 is the one next to the airbox under the bonnet, try plugging it into there mate.

Cheers

affy

Lifer
ok thnaks bud, yeah the 1st one was the closest thing it but it doesnt fit on, too big, damn, and nengun wont take it back, making excuses, what a joke, they stated it on thier site as compatible for the starlets,

f****n hate it when you get conned :( bad site

thanks for your help bud, will have ot put this on sale on ebay or sumut

Nick@TD.co.uk

ok thnaks bud, yeah the 1st one was the closest thing it but it doesnt fit on, too big, damn, and nengun wont take it back, making excuses, what a joke, they stated it on thier site as compatible for the starlets,

f****n hate it when you get conned :( bad site

thanks for your help bud, will have ot put this on sale on ebay or sumut
Yeah mate you will sell it easy on ebay or on other owners club forums mate.

affy

Lifer
anyopne know if theres an adaptor available, not giving up yet lol, there has to be an adaptor to fit the ep82's obd connector,

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
Yeah you could hard wire if you are careful, does it not fit into the diagnostic port like Ricky mentioned under the bonnet, the one with the grey cap.

T

affy

Lifer
its just slightly bigger lol, doesnt fit, how can i hardwire it, am no elctrician or anything might end up messing it up lol,

nengun said there might be an adaptor but unlikley

how long to hardwire it?

cheers guys

hardcoreep

Member +
EP doesn't have OBD. OBD was an american standard introduced in 1996. The only way to connect to the EP82/91 is through the Toyota diagnostic port with a Toyota reader. The only aftermarket device that can do this is the Tectoms MDM-100.

You need this
20018304264837272278690.jpg

to read this
ecuport.jpg

ecuport_5.jpg

ecuport_4.jpg

ecuport_2.jpg

You get this
dsc01826.jpg

Last edited:

affy

Lifer
that explains it then, mines a 1994, but it does have the obd but its next to the air box, but unfortuantley connectors dont match the unit,

its the one where you connect a pice of wire to e1 and te1 terminals, that is the obd, ep's do have em but its the old system, dam no way for fitting the unit then lol

thanks for the pitures bud :)

hardcoreep

Member +
The picture I have posted is from an EP91, mine. OBD as you know it is not a JDM requirement. To my research no pre 98 JDM Toyota uses the OBD protocol. The diagnosis port is SPECIFIC to the manufacturer until 96+. If you hook that thing up to the car you'll more than likely either get no signal or fry the ECU. I have a OBD scanner, and have spoken to several ECU engineers, it won't work. I'm sure the Starlet isn't even listed in the application chart for that device.

I suspect that is a Greddy Intelligent Infometer.
http://www.trust-power.com/03electric/infometer_white.html
That is the JDM application sheet down the bottom. I'm sure EP82/91 or 4EFTE isn't there. Same for the Blitz imon. This is because your car doesn't have OBD.

tgidavid

Member +
Just to clarify all cars after 1980 have some kind of OBD (on board diagnostic). It was mandatory for all cars in the US and then propogated throughout. In the state we separate OBD in 2 classes OBD1 and OBD2. OBD2 is the newest also called the canbus. They unified the standard so all cars can be read instead of OBD1 where each manufacturer had its own system and reporting feature.

tgidavid

Member +
On a side note I read blitz was making a version of the RVIT for toyota obd1 vehicles. Hopefully soon!

They are calling it the RVIT 3

affy

Lifer
ep82's do have the odb, its the grea cap one just like you shown on your picture only that ours is next to the filter, its shows erros if you put a wire in the e1 and te1 terminal so i think that is a obd, on board diagnostics, thats what it does when you plug a wire in, it shows on the dash,

yep your right bud, will probaly fry something, i think i'l save it for my next......evo......................lol dont worry still in the starlet family for another year or 2

man this kit was a good one, and they did list it for the ep82 lol, or else i wouldnt have bought it

much appreciated guys, that cleares it all up, does not fit my car..........:(