oil leak

Ian_w

Member +
Noticed the past few days ive got an oil leak! Its very small, like 2 drops per night. But still as anyone else would do, i'm gonna sort it. Hard to tell where its coming from through. The oil is collecting on what I believe to be the return feed into the sump.
oil.jpg

^^That pipe there.

So I cleaned everything i could under from all the years of crap!

oil1.jpg

oil2.jpg

oil3.jpg

oil4.jpg

oil5.jpg

Higher res photo's found here:

http://ianw28.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/glanza/oil/default.htm

Not too sure whats happening myself... Might just have to be a bumper off jobbie clean it all up and watch where it leaks! :(

If someone can shed some light on this, i'll be very grateful.

Ian

Ian_w

Member +
which is that one mate? Can you show me with a pic? something i can check without pulling the front end off?

edit: You mean where it returned too the sump? On the underside of the turbo?

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
connected to that rubber pipe isthe turbo feed and return union, the gasket could be gone and it may be leaking from there.

there's not much else for oil to leak from, apart from the oil filter of course :)

dantheman

Member +
yeah looks like the metal gasket thats on the feed/return. you wanna sort that mate as it could be loosing oil from the feed. happened to my misses one and the turbo died a slow painful death :haha:

Ian_w

Member +
ok cheers guys, rep for you :)

anyone tackcled this before? Looks like i can get too it just jacking up the car? Guess i need to drain the oil, remove the pipe, swap the gasket, torque it up. Maybe i can get in there with a long socket and extension bar?

dantheman

Member +
you wont need to drain the oil if you dont take the rubber pipe off that goes to the sump... jack it up and get a 10mm socket with a long extention,undo the 2 nuts and then use a small pry bar (or an old flat head screwdriver) and just leaver the return/feed pipe down until it comes off of the 2 studs, then remove old gasket, clean up oil off the faces with carb cleaner and put a new gasket in there. :) dont put any silicone sealent or anything on it as it will do more harm than good.

WillGT

Member +
hi mate, i just fixed my oil leak like that, it was my oil filter, cheak to see if theres any on your oil filter drip plate if so go and buy a new one and not a cheap euro carparts one i had to change 2 of them filters because the rubber seal on them was faulty and kept leaking hope you fix it soon i hate oil leaks!!

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
you wont need to drain the oil if you dont take the rubber pipe off that goes to the sump... jack it up and get a 10mm socket with a long extention,undo the 2 nuts and then use a small pry bar (or an old flat head screwdriver) and just leaver the return/feed pipe down until it comes off of the 2 studs, then remove old gasket, clean up oil off the faces with carb cleaner and put a new gasket in there. :) dont put any silicone sealent or anything on it as it will do more harm than good.

you may not need to do this but personally i'd also remove the banjo bolt that connects the feed line to the oil filter housing to prevent stress on the oil feed line.