oil leak

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
time has come for my glanza to spring another oil leak...

it is drivers side of engine, bottom of alternator is coverd in a film of oil, this was also where the drops were forming, and going to the floor to create a little puddle..

my thinking is it has to be, crank seal,sump or dipstick o ring...

i have looked at dipstick ran my finger in the recess, and its not oily..

so im thinking sump or crank seal..
im going to remove crank pulley once i get my impact wrench back from workshop..

what is a sign of a failed crank seal?? once i remove oulley and bottom part of timing cover if its oily, then its failed??? if dry, can i eliminate that seal?

then focus on sump...

also i havr checked distributor o ring and thats fine, no oil around their..

AdamB

Member +
For the sake of it mate is probably best to do both. Either that or jet wash it off then start her up and take a look to see if you can spot it.

ep82morzy

Member +
If its drivers side It could possibly be rocker cover gasket running down the back of the block and onto the alternator buddy,I would be looking at that first.then as you say check dipstick o ring.then crank oil seal and sump

If its drivers side It could possibly be rocker cover gasket running down the back of the block and onto the alternator buddy,I would be looking at that first.then as you say check dipstick o ring.then crank oil seal and sump

i had this problem the other day and it was the gasket and sounds like the oil is running down the engine the same way mate:)

hope it is just the gasket ...got a few spares here should u need it ;)

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
had timing cover off, and crank area is bone dry, such a releif..
i also checked dipstick area, and that is bone dry in the recess...

so im thinking its sump or rocker gasket...

so going to do sump saturday..

Paul_JJ

Member +
Don't forget about the oil pump seal!

The full list would be
Crank
Cam
DipStick
Oil Pump Seal
Oil Sump

Also what kind of oil do you use?

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
with timing cover off, the whole area was clear of oil, so that would indicate crank and oil pump seals r fine...
fuchs 5w-40 titan race s i use ester synthetic...

Paul_JJ

Member +
with timing cover off, the whole area was clear of oil, so that would indicate crank and oil pump seals r fine...
fuchs 5w-40 titan race s i use ester synthetic...

Try to use 10W40, Toyota oil for example or Shell if you want. Not saying that Fuchs is a bad oil, in fact it's one of the best oils, but the problem with that is too thin and if you had a brand new engine then that would be a wise choice, however for over 10 year old engine it would cause oil leaks over time, just like it did for me.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
still leaks..
did sump on saturday, and rocker cover..
its better, as sump has no little oil drops on it, since resealing the sump...

dipstick tube i havent touched yet, but that appears clean tho, no oily residue...
but it is only thing i can think of left...

turboloon

Member +
i done my rocker and touch wood that seems to be it,,smeared some sealent in my hands(wearing gloves)and ran the gasket through my hand and it seems to be ok..:)

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
done exactly same with m rocker as well mate...
its almost like it was seeping from sump, rocker and a blanking plate in head....
sealed all of those, and now no oil is on sump, but is on bottom of alternator dropping down onto the floor and wishbone etc...

do dipstick i hope tomorrow...

if not that what else could it be???

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
right guys, ive done dipstick with a new o ring, and i still have a few drops of oil under the car after a drive...
and it was a slow drive at that...

the alternator bracket is still coverd in oil and thats where its dripping from...

only difference now is the sump since i resealed it has no oil drops on it...