Oil Leaking

yiph

Member +
Over the weekend, I found an alarming oil leakage under the car, lots and lots dripped out of it. When I pulled the dip stick out, it was way past the low line.

It seem to have happened over time gradually more and more until I drove it on Friday, where I found the belts were slipping. Found a lot of oil got onto the A/C and alternator belts and splashed everywhere. The source, I suspected the oil filter seal gone faulty, hence the excessive leak above the AC compressor.

I tried to clean as much as I could, replaced the oil filter with new oil. Much better now. However, I still find few drops of oil everywhere I park. Only been about 30kms drive since I've done the filter change.

What could this be?
- old oil that I haven't cleaned up properly
- another seal is on it's way to failure
- much bigger problem that I haven't identified

H_D

Member +
Best thing to do is jack it up and give it a proper clean with some good de-greaser/brake cleaner and take it for a drive and check it again to see if any further leaks have developed,
If you find any leaks by the crank pully it coul be your crank seal or cam seal,

yiph

Member +
I checked the cam cover, nothing seem to be coming out around it.

I remember when I cleaned it over the weekend, lots of oil were found under the timing belt cover, or yeah the crank pulley. Though it could be the belts that is splashing oil on it as I even got oil on my strut top.

The oil dripping is getting lesser now. I will keep monitoring the oil level these days, hope it is nothing too serious.

If I am to replace the crank oil seal, how hard is it?

Paul_JJ

Member +
If you are to replace the crank then replace the cam at the same time! The cam and crank seals are identical. It could be the oil pump seal as well. And there is a dipstick seal as well -))) The Oil pump is the hardest to replace. Try to use thicker oil for now it should help.