Oil marks on white paintwork - How can i remove them?

ady_glanza

Member +
Hello all

I recently had the car serviced and then washed yesterday evening, upon washing it i've found quite a few oily marks on the bonnet and wings (most likely caused when the service was carried out) Washing the car won't remove these as oil and water don't mix well.

I have the following cleaning products that i can try on the car along with a soft clean cloth:-

Auto Glym Super Resin Polish
Auto Glym Ultra Deep Shine
Meguiars Ultimate Compound

Can any of the above remove the oily marks on the white paintwork (which makes them stand out quite a bit)

Many thanks

turbo head

Munster Area Rep.
warm really soapy water and leave it dry and then giv it s coat of auto gylm super resin polish if it was me as i dont like petrol or wd40 on my paint work

ady_glanza

Member +
Wd40 and a cloth will get it off mate. Then just clean off with some water

hi mate
i've got some of this too, is it better to spray directly onto the bodywork or cloth and then clean off with water. Will i need to put on water before hand in order to remove any dust particles that may have got onto the bodywork over night.

Also won't Wd40 cause the paintwork to thin?

Thanks

hi mate
i've got some of this too, is it better to spray directly onto the bodywork or cloth and then clean off with water. Will i need to put on water before hand in order to remove any dust particles that may have got onto the bodywork over night.

Also won't Wd40 cause the paintwork to thin?

Thanks

Have you tried fairy liquid on its own?

dac69er

Super Moderator
wd40 is fine mate. spray some on the paintwork, make sure its not in direct sun or anything. work it in a bit and then rub off. once you have done that just wash the car with normal car shampoo and its sorted.

ady_glanza

Member +
wd40 is fine mate. spray some on the paintwork, make sure its not in direct sun or anything. work it in a bit and then rub off. once you have done that just wash the car with normal car shampoo and its sorted.

Hi mate
thanks for this
Can i just pore water on the car after rubbing of the T-Cut as i'm at work at the moment and don't have any car shampoo.

gv1.3

Admin
you need an emulsifier - in this case washing up liquid is what I would go with. It allows the water you are using to mix with the oil and lift it from the surface you are working on.

ady_glanza

Member +
you need an emulsifier - in this case washing up liquid is what I would go with. It allows the water you are using to mix with the oil and lift it from the surface you are working on.

hi mate
So would doing the following be ok?
1. Wash oily area again with clear water so there is no dirt/dust.
2. Do i need to apply fairy liquid to the oily mark or rub into cloth/sponge and rub or mix fairy liquid with water and then rub using cloth/sponge?
3. Wash over with water again and dry with cloth.

Does that sound ok, although there is a question in point number 2.

Thanks

Last edited:

gv1.3

Admin
I would get a bucket and put in some hot water. Squirt in a decent amount of washing up liquid. stir it up. Get a sponge and just wash over the area until the oil is gone. You can use a second bucket with more water for cleaning out your sponge if there is a lot of oil.

Once you cant see oil any longer wash the area of the car off with clean water.

Probably a good time to wash the entire car and if you normally wax etc give it a new coat.

gv1.3

Admin
well you polish something to put a top coat on, bring up a shine and protect. If you polish over dirt you trap the dirt. If you polish over oil you are putting a top coat over the oil. Maybe the oil may mix with the polish but then you are spreading it over a larger area. I think it would be best to remove the oil then polish.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
well you polish something to put a top coat on, bring up a shine and protect. If you polish over dirt you trap the dirt. If you polish over oil you are putting a top coat over the oil. Maybe the oil may mix with the polish but then you are spreading it over a larger area. I think it would be best to remove the oil then polish.

polish removes dirt also..