dark_knight

Member +
so, earlier today in traffic, i turned off my engine coz we were not moving anywhere for a long minute. but.. on turning my ignition back to 'ON', all the other dash lights except the oil (& seat belt since i was belted in) came on. then a few seconds later, it popped to life, before i cranked up to start.

so i thought it was a one-off glitch and didn't think much about it. later on after i got to my destination, i tried it again, and it took close to half a minute to come on during POST (power-on self test(ing)). i thought my bulb was a goner at first but it always comes to life a few seconds later if i leave the key at 'ON' without cranking the engine. has anyone experienced this..? any particular leads to this sort of (mis)behavior..?

Evjatar

Member +
My oil light died all together, turned out to be the sender in the block that died. Light was fine, but the sender has to have a ground, which it gets from the block itself. The light doesn't light up when the sender is dead, so maybe the sender doesn't make a connection with the block, or the sender is maybe on it's way out? The sender itself doesn't cost much, something like 10 euro's. It's kind of akward to replace it, downpipe sits right in the way and the front of the car doesn't help as well, but otherwise replacement is easy. Doesn't have to be your problem, but maybe it could be?

dac69er

Super Moderator
try replacing the sender. my car did this when i first got it. once i started using it and changed the oil it has been fine since

Evjatar

Member +
Before my sender died, the light worked perfectly. It started to become dim after some time, and then it died all together. When i replaced the sender it was solved.

dark_knight

Member +
looks like everything is pointing to the sender as the usual suspect. perhaps i can watch it for a bit longer as i have a defi oil pressure gauge to keep an eye on things should the stock sender fail to do its job in case of total failure..