Oil Temps/Oil Cooler Advice

Gee

Member +
Howdy!

What is the ideal running temperature and at what temps should we start to worry?

Apparantly the GReddy thermostat you get with the oil cooler opens at:

'71-75 degrees celcius +/-2 degrees celcius'

Is that a good temp for the stat to open? As above, at what temps should we really not see our oil get to?

A few people seem to have installed oil coolers and had problems with there engines, due to the oil not getting to an ideal heat. Also, it has been recommended NOT to run a thermostat as they can get clogged, plus it should not be needed when the oil cooler is an ideal size for the engine?

I would rather run a thermostat and keep it clean at every oil filter change or something like that. I would be scared that my oil would never get to its correct temp on the highway or something like that.

Comments guys?

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
From what i understand Gee oil temps getting over 100 is getting too hot, i think 80-90 is ideal temp? Im considering a Oil Cooler and id prefer a thermostat in it but if i got the right size cooler i wouldnt bother. as long as you have a oil temp gauge and it goes up to a good running temp it doesnt matter if you have a thermostat or not.

Althought why would the Thermostat get clog? as long as your changing your oil well and keeping it clean theres no reason why it would.

~Nick

Gee

Member +
Can anyone else confirm the ideal temp? It is was 80-90 why does the thermo open at 71-75?

In regards to the stat clogging...dunno mate! Just what another member advised.

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
Can anyone else confirm the ideal temp? It is was 80-90 why does the thermo open at 71-75?

In regards to the stat clogging...dunno mate! Just what another member advised.
Well if the thermo opens at that it doesnt mean it holds that temp, its like the coolant thermostat, the sard one opens at 69deg? but the coolant temp never holds at 69, it holds higher.

Red Hot

Member +
Would be nice to keep the temp under a 100 degrees. I've been co driving a few times with a guy that does a lot of trackdays, and his temp goes over 140:p (he doesn't mind because he wants anonther engine)
It depends on what oil you use tho. If you use 10W60 your oil can become very hot pretty save, but when you got 10W40 with no cooler on the track, it will become to thin and you'll lose lubrication.
So the question should be, what is the ideal temp. with the use of 10W40.

I've seen an formula on the net to calculate the ideal size cooler, but you'll have to google because I don't know the site anymore.
I also would use a thermostat for a daily driven car. It helps to get the car up to temp faster, so less engine wear.

Gee

Member +
Yeah exactly. I want the car to function as normal and the oil cooler only kick in when need be!

I use 10/50 fully syn BTW.