Opinions on replica BOV's

parkiboy

Member +
Just wondered everyones opinion on replica BOV's as i am currently looking about for a BOV for my mx5 turbo! The reason i asked last time i paid the full retail price for a HKS SSQV 2 for my Glanza and a mate of mine bought a replica for his scooby doo... well they looked the same, felt the same and sounded the same!

Just wondered peoples opinions?? are they as good of quality or qill you experience boost leak etc??? from what i saw it was pretty much an exact replica for a third of the price!

Ben89

Lifer
Iv had a replica ssqv a while back and it was ok, I was rub ing low boost on it 0.8 bar, I then gave it to a mate and he blew it inside out at 1.6 bar, I don't think I would get one again but it served a purpose for a couple of months till I got a good one. Tbh mate if you want a cheap mod then don't think you can go wrong.!

RGM1800

Member +
been using a greddy type s replica for 2 yrs. good for 8-20 psi of boost. serves it s purpose but wont last long

Foggy

Member +
I have/had a hks rep very good quility have it for two years never missed a beat and still working a1

carrington865

Member +
my personal opinion is that u always get wat u pay for. if u anna try get one to a budget then y not try pick up a 2nd hand branded one

alan_d

Lifer
I posted a replica bov strip down on here but hardly anyone read it :/

On an mx5 you NEED a dual piston type or idling will be a borrox! Bailey dv series and hks 'ssqv style' will be grand, I had 2 GReddy bovs on my 5 and neither functioned well.

The ssqv style reps are by far and away the best replica to fit in my tried and tested opinion- the greddy rep diagphragms as pants, but you can always swap the diaphragm out for a genuine greddy part as our USA buddys do. Just be aware that on a MAF'd mx5 it'll cause all manner of gremlins unless its a dual piston type