Parker light system fail

TheStarletGT

Member +
Parker lights and dash cluster background light not working.

Just recently, i removed the heater/cooling fan from under the dash + aircon box and heater box. Now the parker light system fuse blows everytime i get it activated. Wiring from engine bay loom to parker light plugs are 100% perfect. Why is the fuse blowing, what does the fan/aircon/heater box gotta do with the parker light system.

Anybody experienced this.

J25GTi

Lifer
Well the wiring obviously isn't perfect if the fuse is blowing...

Anyway why do you need our help? I thought you were the EP whizz kid who knew it all? Lol.

dark_knight

Member +
Did you check that you didn't pinch any of the harness wires while you were putting back the components..?
Also, you may have done something else unrelated to the heater/cooler fan that may be the cause of this problem so try and remember if you did anything else (perhaps even in the engine bay) that could have caused this..

TheStarletGT

Member +
A quick update:

1: I have wired the parker lights on a external wiring system activated by a flick switch.
2: Dash background light works as normal with activation by the hand piece.

Conclusion: By wiring the front and back lights via a seperate wiring system, i have eliminated whatever that was causing the blown fuses. Since bypassing the conventional parker light activation stalk thingy, it just shows that there was a issue and it is now isolated. Dash background light works as normal.

In future, i could reconnect each corner and see which is the culprit, but nah, phuck that. Works good now. Now if anything goes wrong, i just have 1 thing to look at, the fuse. Bypassing the chassis wiring loom is a fantastic outcome, that way i dont have to rip my hair out in anger trying to figure out what is wrong.

dark_knight

Member +
I hope you passed your 'new wiring' through a fuse. It can be a simple in-line fuse with the proper rating depending on your lights (wattage). This is critical since we don't want any car fires now do we..? :)

A simple physics formula you can use to calculate the rating of the fuse to use is:
P = IV;
where P = power (watts), I = current (amps) and V= volts (volts)
so, in your case, you'd be looking for how much current is going through that circuit:
I = P/V

Assuming you are using three 21-watt bulbs (3 bulbs would give 63 watts total), and the vehicle voltage is the standard 12v, your formula would be:
I = P/V;
I = 63/12;
I = 5.25 amps
thus the best fuse to use would be a 6A or 7.5A one. I think the 7.5A is the more common one in our vehicles.
Hope this is of some help.