Possible TD04 Setup??

Johnboy GT

Member +
Right lads, not looking to spark off another Hybrid vs td04 debate, just after a bit of advice.
Currently fitted to my car is a Tongs Hybrid having covered only 3k by the previous owner and none by me. I have a ported cast mani and a decat and was looking at what options there is for running a td04 setup? Mainly looking for prices, where to look for a td04 mani and downpipe, what kind of price to look to pay for a td04 turbo? Whether an internal or external wastegate is better? How easy it is to get hold of water and oil lines for it aswell. What size the air intake is for buying hosing to fit my front mounted air filter...

I know im asking a shed load but im hopin you guys will sort me out:beer:

JohnOBrien8

Member +
i can only answer a few of your questions!
i wouldnt change turbo at all if i was u unless i was gettin a good price for a hybrid!
but anyway! best place to get a tdo4 is on here in the classified section or maybe check out the subaru forums ive heard people saying the,ve got them on there for around 50pound!
you can get your water and oil lines of here from a few of the traders!
if you have lots of money and want a full setup tm developments and other traders have the full kits on here for big money but they would be a brand new piece of kit!
hope thats some sort of help :)
here read this http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74381

Last edited:

Johnboy GT

Member +
Ahh i never thought about lookin on scooby forums. And traders supply water and oil lines! Nice one. Its difficult to argue my point of being interested in td04 without sparkin the debate :haha:

Repped dude

churcherj

Member +
for the td04l put a wanted thread on soobynet, i got mine for £50 with hardly any miles on it, looked new!

oil and water lines a few traders do them mate

im running a speedvision td04 kit, cost me around 450 to import and its a very good kit, no sign of letting up at all, mines not external wastegate but am looking to switch as i want to run 1.4bar on a forged block :)

what psi u wana run? if it was around 1 bar just stay with the internal w/g and get a good ebc, will be very good :) you could run higher boost on the internal i would imagine but id rather go external to make fine adjustments easier.

oh the inlet on the turbo is around 54mm for the air filter if i remember correctly and got some silicone hoses from ebay :) fits a treat mate

Johnboy GT

Member +
Ahhrite ok. So its only easier to do finer adjustments with an ext w/g thats the only real reason or...? adjustments like? Ill be running forged setup, havent really decided what psi i want t run... So about the same size as a hybrid ct9 then. Whats consisted in the speedvision setup? Whats wepr like? And a screamer on the downpipe, whats that for?

stavros

Member +
I did my TD04 setup on a budget just to see me through 'til now when im forgings and going down the TD05 route...

I purchase a mani/decat kit from ebay for under £200

TD04L turbo was from a local scooby forum £60

Water lines were from TM developments £70

Gaskets were from TM developments £40 (dont forget the mani/head gasket too)

16mm/19mm reducer elbow from the oil out feed on the turbo to the sump was about £20

Air filter relocation kit - That was made using bits off of ebay, was about £40

Just seen this which might be handy... biggest pig of the build was making an actuator bracket and rotating the turbo... ide definately get one of these whilst this chaps going it imo.

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74381

I would reiterate though, mine is a budget build, purely to see me through after my CT9 oil seals went. I cant vouch for the mani and down pipe as ive only driven the car a hand full of times since having the td04 on it, but its holding up so far

Best of luck pal

Johnboy GT

Member +
Yeah i just read that thread bud, thanks! im not too worried about paying decent money for mani and that because il be plannin on keeping it on.. For the time being anyway :). Anywhere else to find a decent mani and downpipe?

Repped also bud

churcherj

Member +
Ahhrite ok. So its only easier to do finer adjustments with an ext w/g thats the only real reason or...? adjustments like? Ill be running forged setup, havent really decided what psi i want t run... So about the same size as a hybrid ct9 then. Whats consisted in the speedvision setup? Whats wepr like? And a screamer on the downpipe, whats that for?

not really sure what i meant by adjustments lol! with external wastegate i think the boost pressure is more controlable and safer to run than off the turbo actuator but thats all i know about that tbh, speedivison is good u pretty much get everything in the kit:

manfiold, downpipe, oil/water lines, oil return pipe, metal bracket to mount the actuator too and all the turbo/downpipe gaskets, its a good kit for the money, wepr does a good td04 kit, more expensive but ive never used it so cant comment on what its like but i have heard good things! screamer pipe just makes it loud!

also zisco are meant to be one of the top dogs for manifolds and general fabrication :) give keith or kon a PM they will sort you out

Last edited:

Johnboy GT

Member +
why are people against speedvision? So in the speedvision kit they have actuator brackets to suit rotated td04's? I thought that was all a screamer pipe did. It just off the downpipe aswell aye?

churcherj

Member +
why are people against speedvision? So in the speedvision kit they have actuator brackets to suit rotated td04's? I thought that was all a screamer pipe did. It just off the downpipe aswell aye?

not sure mate, people had issues with the earlier hybrids but ive never had any issues and the fabrication work looks spot on, looks to be a very strong manifold/dp, my mate tom on here username "shorty" on here also run the speedvision kit and its an awesome product imo, people put speedvision down because its cheaper than the others, fair enuf the zisco or wepr is probably slightly better im not denying that but for the price speedvisions td04 kit is very competitive and not a shitty product at all! they give you a metal plate to mount the actuator too but you need to modify it yourself, not sure about the screamer pipe mate

Johnboy GT

Member +
Sounds arite to me to be honest, Im sure if anyone that had problems with them theyd let folk know aye! Yeah, i mean im nae shy to make my own kit up itl just take longer and im starting to save for this rebuild! I think id get quite a good price for my hybrid setup, that would cover most of it.. Just to decide whether im gonna do it yet or nae...

Johnboy GT

Member +
Well thats a spewer! hmm i dont want to take my hybrid off, sell it n then be with left without a paddle up the creek!

JohnOBrien8

Member +
dont your better off save up for all your bits to do the conversion and then when you have everything do the conversion that way you wont have you car off the road for long and you,ll have the right setup :)

Johnboy GT

Member +
Yeah thats what i was plannin buddy. Id like to get a run in both a hybrid and a td04 setup car. Hopin thatl settle my mind!

turboloon

Member +
johnny i got hyd place in elgin to make up my oil line,ye can use fuel line for your water lines,and for your fmic pipe work you just need to buy a couple bits of silicone hose and a metal bend for the hot side ...td04 you will pick up for £50 FROM SCOOBY.NET...just put a wanted thread up...you'll get decent money for yer hybrid...so go for it loon ye won't be dissapointed...any questions bud just drop me a pm...