Potential Trackday: Lydden Hill (Near Canterbury) on March 21st

riko666

Member +
Right, I have been discussing this with Mark as well as a couple of other members, have been wanting to go on a trackday for a while and maybe this is an ideal oppurtunity, considering the number of members in the area. Anyway, I emailed Lydden Hill asking for a Group Discount or even a Club Day...now, their typical price for a Trackday is £130 per car, which is in short, a bargain. They may be able to do a discount on that (depending on numbers)...or there's a chance of Renting out the track for a club day. This would be interesting, however...the cost is of £8500 (which would be split up between us all), and so to get a price for the day of around £100 you'd need a got 85 people or so, which, well...won't happen. Or if we go for £130, then 65 people...but I know damn well it won't happen again, as people will drop out left, right and center, unless I do a "non-Refundable Deposit" type layout just to maintain numbers.

Now, what does this money buy you? Well, Google Earth these Co-ordinates: LAT - 51°10'40.72"N LONG - 1°11'58.49"E and go to the side plan view JUST to see the sort of elevation changes on this teeny tiny track, and go to this site: Clicky. It is an exactly 1mi long track with frankly amazing technicality to the layout - it's not too complex, but you get such great elevation changes and variation of slow and fast corners, it is sure to test out the worth of any car, from the efficiency of the dampers on the Off-camber, flat-out corner on a crest just before the Start-Finish straight, to effective brakes and raw mechanical grip on the downhill, 90 degree left-hander called "The Devil's Elbow". Anyway, the £130 will pay for a full day of events, with cars split up into 3 categories/groups, running in 20min sessions. There's a pause at 12 for lunch of about an Hour (and apparently the best Bacon Sandwiches EVER are made at the Van at the track), and then on till the end of the day (5:00PM). For those nervous of your car (i.e. how wikkid your exhaust is, innit), there's no Sound Regulations - when I went there were Silhoutte Racers on track with the "normal" guys.

Now as I said, this is only a potential - I hope to get my car ready for this, but I'll need a large outlay first to get what I need within the 6 weeks...but it's a prime oppurtunity for you track noobs and the people Boasting their skills (and for people like Mark who want to go crazy, and me, see if I'm not just clinically insane having spent so much money on the car and driving around daily with no interior, sound deadening).

Please list your interest, and I'll gather more information or make more stern plans :)

1. Enrico - riko666
2. Mark - Nightspirit (you know you're going to this, like it or not :p)
3. Mikey - Mikey Jay (ditto ^^^)

GTti

Member +
Looks good, but a bit too soon for me! :( Be ideal to test the car.

1. Enrico - riko666
2. Mark - Nightspirit (you know you're going to this, like it or not )
4. Luke - GTti (If date changes a little (Start - Mid April :p)

Last edited:

riko666

Member +
for me too chap really, but it's why I offer the option of us renting out the track on a club day...but we'd need such silly numbers of attendances, which just won't happen!

goldenvtr

Member +
think this is too short notice for me :( you still going coming to the ring? nothing is booked yet but its the 1st weekend in april now.

riko666

Member +
I dunno Dan, I REALLY want to and I'll just have had my loan in by then...but...I want to get an Alignment, DIN Gauges (for oil pressure, temp and some other temp), some dyno tuning and a Zep Racing Baffled Oil sump before a trackday...oh, and new tyres too...or I can put that money towards the 5E w/ Blitz K1...

goldenvtr

Member +
i know what you mean, i dont want to rush to get my GT run in ect too for it.

might put my name down for this insted and come in the n/a :D lol

riko666

Member +
hehe, not a problem

That's an idea, if people can suggest a more ideal date, be my guest...but remember, it'll cost us £8500 for the day!

Cooch

Member +
1. Enrico - riko666
5. Cooch-Cooch (Lol, would you guys still let me join in, in the Rex?)

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
1. Enrico - riko666
6. Ian - Dub-Se7en - assuming all is well of course :) )

riko666

Member +
splendid chap :) Take it you'll bring the GTti? Will be good to see it in action - always been a fan of them (3 pots are just so much more charismatic sounding :p). Jeebusth, surrounded by all the hawtness :D

GTti

Member +
Yes, my only concern is that it's a little far in a reasonably untested car. But nevermind.

riko666

Member +
true, but it's not too taxing a track on the car, there's only Paddock Bend really that generates a lot of lateral load...and the following corner, but otherwise it's relatively easy on a car :)

GTti

Member +
Good stuff :)

It's more to test the setup/handling of the car, I certainly won't be pushing it though. Probably will be running on the standard ECU at 12psi and won't have a cage installed by that time either. Doesn't sound like much but it certainly is with the weight of the thing, my geometry is all over the place at the moment though.

May fit the Omex and leave the standard ECU loom in for standby see how it goes at 1.1bar!

But we'll see!

riko666

Member +
well it's a very good track in the respects that the majority of the corners will test the raw mechanical grip of your car (mostly low-speed and either uphill or downhill), with a couple of high speed crest corners testing the efficiency of your dampers. But perfectly suited for the Novice too :)

riko666

Member +
Bump, so far it's at:

1. Enrico - riko666 (4EFTE'd Cynos)
6. Ian - Dub-Se7en - (assuming all is well of course )
7. Kyle - Kyleseo (AE111 Levin)
8. BennyB - Benny?
9. Zeppelin - (EG6 Civic)
10. [Maybe] Scott - my Flatmate (E30 BMW 318is)

riko666

Member +
indeedy :) Will try to see if my ex-flatmate with his Mk1 Subaru Impreza WRX Type RA Estate will come to this, for all those wannabe races that want some competition :p