Pro/Cons of Mk1 Focus RS?

Nerosis

Member +
Ive been offered 1 at a cheap proce for the condition/mileage/year etc.

What are the pros and cons of them?

What to look out for?

Apart from obviously its a ford.

Sharkman645

Member +
i had a 2004 1.6 zetec and the coil packs went on it a couple of time and it also had problems with the electrics, the dashboard lights, speed and rev needles used to take a mind of there own.

dac69er

Super Moderator
i have heard that some have dodgy electrics. mostly to do with the intrument cluster.

the RS focus engine isnt a ford engine i didnt think so may be a bit more reliable coil pack wise??? i know my fiesta and my sister KA had coilpacks go on them

Phil

Super Moderator
forged as standard.

and i quote "The turbocharged straight-4 engine produced a minimum of 220 PS (162 kW; 217 hp) and 310 N·m (229 lb·ft) of torque, which was then mated to the 5-speed MTX-75 and not the Getrag transmission used in the ST 170. Mechanically, most notably, the car incorporated a Quaife automatic torque biasing differential to improve traction from the front-wheel drive setup. The steering used a similar quick-ratio rack as the ST170 while the brakes used fixed-caliper, four-piston Brembo units with 324 mm (12.8 in) discs at the front and single-piston floating calipers and 280 mm (11.0 in) discs at the back. Wheels were 18" alloys specially developed by OZ Racing. The engine was heavily modified with forged aluminium pistons,hardened valve seats, sodium-filled exhaust valves, stainless steel exhaust system. The forced induction system comprised a Garrett turbocharger with a water-cooled charge air cooler and an electric water pump. To transmit the higher torque an uprated AP clutch was used."

pretty impressive for an off the shelf car.

quite a few about with running more boost and possibly bigger turbos/injectors that are make 300+ easily.

id possibly consider one of these in the future if i had the spare dollar.

an good financial buy aswell, because i cant see these cars getting any cheaper from now on.

Phil

Boab

Member +
Awesome cars, always wanted one. Not especially fast by todays standards (would get soundly beaten by an newer ST/RS) but I wouldn't let that put me off.

Phil

Super Moderator
Awesome cars, always wanted one. Not especially fast by todays standards (would get soundly beaten by an newer ST/RS) but I wouldn't let that put me off.

im sure you guys could work some magic on the dyno if you had a stock mk1 rs and a gt35 strapped to it with big injectors and some sort of management :)

Phil

durmz

Member +
i had a 2004 1.6 zetec and the coil packs went on it a couple of time and it also had problems with the electrics, the dashboard lights, speed and rev needles used to take a mind of there own.

yeah mine was exactly the same, lovely car to drive though, handled great.

i do like the look of them, but the omp interior is fucking nasty in my eyes, and u still get that shit looking ford focus wheel haha

Knightsy-EP91

Member +
My mate has 1 and it is very nice, power delivery is very good, but my 230bhp Glanza beats him (no lsd) and his has 265bhp :)

Only thing about them is they are expensive to fix if anything goes wrong, my mates diff would cost more than the car if it needs replacing :eek:

EDIT: another thing tho is they have sooo much you can do to them, for about 10k you could go 4wd and have a LOt of bhp apparently ive been told :)

Ben89

Lifer
Think they use the sierra 4x4 props and hubs with custom transfer box, think burton do a kit.
I really like the mk1 focus rs looks awesome and sounds awesome, agree on the interior!!

Boab

Member +
im sure you guys could work some magic on the dyno if you had a stock mk1 rs and a gt35 strapped to it with big injectors and some sort of management :)

Phil

gt35? sure whats the point in that? A GT42 would do the job nicely.lol.

Phil

Super Moderator
you think they would need much more than i mentioned to crack 500hp?

engine wise are they known to be strong?

Phil

Boab

Member +
Phil said:
you think they would need much more than i mentioned to crack 500hp?

engine wise are they known to be strong?

Phil

To be honest, it's something we haven't done before.done a brave bit of tuning on the newer ST&RS.

Check our the pumaspeed website, they have a quick one if I remember right.

Bob

jonny-boi32

Member +
you guys have seriously put me in the notion for one of these. always liked them, but this has pushed me. hurry on the new year!!!lol

M

mad_max926

ur better off gettin a st its much better value for money your also gettin a duratec engine instead of zetec u get 2.5 instead of 2 the interior is better its much better priced all round from every angle the st is much better